Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another forum, we're presently debating the pros/cons.

I've got to say that I still LOVE going to the movies.

First, theaters in our area (Regal) are pretty good w/the details. Stadium seating ensures that everyone can see. Cleaning crews descend on the tiers as soon as the credits are finished. Sound and projection systems are pretty good. Patrons are generally respectful about things like talking and cell phones and noisy kids.

So that said, I'd rather see a movie in a theater than at home. Yes, DVD offers some really cool things, especially the bonus features, (and the ability of Netflix to find and provide just about anything). But still. There's something about a movie being a group experience. Comedies are funnier. Dramas are more engaging. Action pix are more nail-biting.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I'd rather see one at home. I find the opposite is true for me about the group experience. We have a 52" TV and the picture is just fine. We also have a home theatre couch/recliner setup that's way nicer than movie seats. Plus if I have to pee, I can always pause. I haven't been to a movie theatre in like 6 or 7 years and really don't miss it at all.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd rather see one at home. I find the opposite is true for me about the group experience. We have a 52" TV and the picture is just fine. We also have a home theatre couch/recliner setup that's way nicer than movie seats. Plus if I have to pee, I can always pause. I haven't been to a movie theatre in like 6 or 7 years and really don't miss it at all.
But if you're watching a comedy, do you laugh?
If it's a scary movie, do you gasp?

Maybe so. But I'd argue that the reaction would be more in a theater full of other people laughing/gasping/etc.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Average price of the theater for me

Tickets at $12 X 2 = $24
Popcorn and pop = $10
Beer(our theater has a bar) = $10 - $50

So anywhere from $44 - $84 for 2 hours of entertainment

Rent a movie $2
microwave popcorn(yuck) = $1
Case of beer = $16

Total $19

Even if I drank the whole case of beer it would still be cheaper

Home it is!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Also, HATE CROWDS!!

Would never go to a movie on opening day.

If a new movie comes out, you are towards the end of the line, you are going to end up with a stiff neck at the end of the movie, or if you have your girlfriend next to you, you just end up with a stiffy!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have a 51 in high def tv and surround sound. So, I prefer home. However there are some movies that I cant wait for the dvd to come out, so I go to the theater. The kids still love to go to the theater.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I prefer the theater.. for the popcorn. Plus I'm less likely to fall asleep in a movie theater. =)

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
home! 52" lcd, blu-ray player and stereo surround. and pause to pee is definitely a win.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Home. We have a hi def 57 inch wide screen tv with surround sound. I can watch a movie with no cell phones, no screaming kids, no one kicking the back of my chair, no tall person (or someone with big 80s hair) blocking my view and I always have the best seat in the house.

AND....I can pause so I can pee if it is a really long movie with out missing anything.

We probably go see 5 movies a year - usually the big blockbuster type of things. For example: we will be going to see Watchmen this weekend. Harry Potter, Spiderman, Batman, Bond....any big action flicks.

Everything else? Home. Forget the beer...we have wine. :D

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Average price of the theater for me

Tickets at $12 X 2 = $24
Popcorn and pop = $10
Beer(our theater has a bar) = $10 - $50
Wow, could it get any worse than watching a movie with a bunch of drunks? Now if the drunks are all your friends, it's one thing, but strange drunks are annoying. Unless she's hot.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Wow, could it get any worse than watching a movie with a bunch of drunks? Now if the drunks are all your friends, it's one thing, but strange drunks are annoying. Unless she's hot.
if you're drunk, she's always hot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For me, it depends on the movie. I have a 52" LCD tv with surround sound, so my couch is like a movie theater and I can drink to my heart's content. This is fine for HD and Blu Ray movies.

As for big films like the Watchmen, Iron Man, 300, etc...my buddies and I tend to go to the theater late at night when people aren't so talkative. I'll never see a Pixar film in a theater before 9pm ever again...ugh.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I prefer the theater experience but never go at any time that there will be a crowd. Generally we go weeks after the movies come out and at a weird time like 4 p.m. on a Tuesday.

But we've got a 62" HD TV with all the surround sound stuff so watching at home isn't exactly torture.

Biggest advantage to the theater, no late fees for movies we didn't get around to watching or returning.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts