Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Woo Hoo!! It was awesome! *Happy Dance*

Rogue Romulans from the future are travelling back through time looking for a young Spock to make him pay for causing (accidentally of course) the destruction of their world. This takes the series off-book a little bit, but gives us a chance to experience the characters unfold in a new way. Kirk and Spock initially hate each other. All the original crew is just out of Starfleet Academy and very green around the ears. They all need to find their way to being the team that we know them to be.

JJ Abrams (Alias, Lost) did a fantastic job finding just the right balance between staying true to the original concept and updating it. The characters were SPOT ON. The guy who plays Dr. McCoy...is was like he was channelling DeForest Kelly! Zachary Quinto (Sylar from Heroes) is perfect casting for a new Spock. Simon Pegg as Scottie...brilliant choice! And hullo Chris Pine...the new James Tiberius Kirk? Just the right blend of recklessness, swagger, charm and determination.

Non-Trekkies will be able to enjoy Gene Roddenberry's concept for an optimistic future of people, races, cultures...species...joining together for a common good. They can enjoy watching these young kids blossom into a team of adults who carry out their duty and contribute to form a whole unit.

Trekkies (and I am one - even been to convention once!) will love it too. It has been too long for us since the Trek universe has been presented to us in the fun, adventure seeking way as the original series. Lots of action, lots of inside jokes, and while some changes have been made to the original concept...they were necessary to bring Trek to future generations. And I promise you...you will love the characters. Very Well Done.

5 STARS!!! (And I'm going to see it AGAIN in the theater!! )

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i wasn't sure i wanted to see it, but went to see it anyway. it was teh awesome!

5 stars from me also and i will be buying the DVD when it comes out.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Missy went to a convention?
*snicker snicker*

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Missy went to a convention?
*snicker snicker*

PETE went to a convention...Missy went along for the ride. Though I have to say...William Shatner is an amazing public speaker. It was fun. It was in NYC so it was very low-key...not the big costumed-extravaganza they have out in CA.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
LOVED this movie! Just the right amount of the old school charm thrown in without being hokey.

Just enough action and plot to keep the non Trek fans entertained.

I would see this again.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
5 stars as well...great movie.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Loved it. Lots of laughter when they threw in bits and pieces from the original.

"I'm givin' 'er all she's got, Capt'n!" was a big hit. =)

·
Registered
113 Posts
This movie rocked. I loved it. Everyone in the theatre applauded during the credits!!!

Bev.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts