Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now on DVD - english speaking, but there are some subtitles

Young Jamal is winning the India version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" and is arrested under suspicion of cheating. Going through the video tape of the gameshow round by round Jamal is questioned as to how he knows the answers...and his flashbacks to his childhood tale of tragedy, strife and courage unfolds. From growing up in the slums to becoming a child beggar to becoming a contestant on the gameshow the film shows Jamal's tumultous relationship with is older brother and his ongoing quest to find his true love.

Brilliant. Just Brilliant. From the childhood actors to the fantastic editing to the foot-tapping soundtrack...everything about this film is incredible. As each chapter of this boy's life unfolds you are simultaneously disheartened by his tale and at the same time overwhelmed by his courage and stamina.

I cannot recommend this movie enough.

5 STARS

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
100% Agree -- plus it's very educational about the culture and life of an increasingly important country (and the call centers most of us use & the homeland of the physicians of many people). :) :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
It's on On Demand now, too. Normally a movie that I wouldn't watch, but now I might after reading your review. :)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
It is not to be missed.

And hang in there for the credits for one of the most joyous and terrific dance sequences ever put on film.

I LOVED this movie!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I read the book a few years back, now will not watch the film. They changed his name for the movie, which was such a large part of the book, I just can't imagine they did the book much justice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts