Just Labradors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tentatively -- 8 out of 10 stars (I'll have to see it a couple more times to finally decide)

This is a movie about life in Mumbai/Bombay, India, as seen through the life, struggles for survival, challenges, and aspirations of 3 street urchins, two brothers (Salim & Jamal), and a girl (Latika).

The 3 are Muslim in a divisive culture -- Hindu & Muslim -- and their parents are murdered, they are orphaned, by a fraticidal attack by fundamentalist Hindus on Muslims. The film's narrative tells what happens from then through early adulthood.

I had problems understanding probably 25-33% of the dialogue, sometimes because of accents, sometimes for whatever other reasons (my own hearing problems?) -- soundtrack, foreign language, etc.

The panoramic views of India's civilization, its poverty, people's means of surviving, its varied levels of comfort, are unparalleled. Have you ever called a Customer Hotline and been answered by someone you figured was in India? Then you'll appreciate some scenes.

Most critics give this movie a 9/10 or 10/10. I need to see it again to really decide.

I can say that the background music was superb, the actors playing the early, middle, and later years of the principal characters, the 3 musketeers, were excellent, and Latika in her various ages became increasingly more beautiful. As a professional family therapist, I found the later divergence between the two brothers to be quite possible (although not inevitable). Nothing was out of place, out of belief, for this clinical psychologist -- a level reachable by maybe only 30-40% of films.

Some people who want a very propelled, tight and structured narrative may not much appreciate this film.

But those of us who especially appreciate a film that conveys a very intimate glimpse into other cultures will feel greatly rewarded.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Everytime I hear about how well this movie is doing I have to laugh.......Because Dev Patel is my fiance's good friend who he knew long before he got the tv show "Skins".

But back to the movie..I loved it and will most likely buy it when it comes out on dvd. We're both really proud of Dev :D.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I've been to Mumbai several times. I was truly the naive American with my first visit. I will have to watch it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts