Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eileen and Amanda were in NYC all day yesterday on an ultra-cool oppty for A to study dance at a studio on Broadway!!!

But that left me w/Claire and Kristin for the day.

Late yesterday afternoon, to get a break from the Wii marathon we were getting mired in, we went to see "Coraline."

LOVED IT!!!

One of the best movies of 2009.

Rich. Dark. Twisted. Unconventional. Challenging. Visually stunning. A most unusual "kids" movie. Note the quotes. If you've got little ones who you think might be disturbed by some really bizarre imagry and plot twists, best to opt for something else.

It was just weird enough that we all just ate it up.

The timing was great, too. Amanda and Eileen are very literal people. We left the theater knowing that the two of them would have hated it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Never heard of it?

Meanwhile, tell us more about Amanda going to dance school in NYC!!! I didn't know she was a dancer. :)

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Thanks for that review.

I wanted to take my kids to see it, but just haven't had the time. Maybe one day this week, while they are on March Break!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Laurie -- Several of the criticisms from that link refer to the book. Not the movie.

And others are off-base:

In every relationship in the movie, the female character abuses the male.
No.

the grandmother controls Wybie
No.

worst of all, Coraline strikes and abuses Wybie in both the real and the Other World
Oh, come on!

Wybie is a trodden-down character in both worlds, who slouches,
It's a hunched back.

However, Henry Selick extends that content and portrays a naked Miss Forcible as a strip dancer wearing a sequined thong and stripper's pasties on impossibly huge breasts. The children in the audience cried out their disgust in tones of amusement and surprise, as if to say, “So that’s what they look like without any clothes!” It is a deeply misogynistic image which will elicit disgust in any Christian viewer, regardless of age.
It's a parody of "The Birth of Venus." It's also hilariously weird. And did not elicit disgust in these Christian viewers of various ages.

In “Coraline” there is no good; there is only evil.
No.

Sex/Nudity: Heavy
LOL!!!!!!!!!

Heavy, I guess, because Miss Forcible is depicted as possibly weighing 350lbs??

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Run for your lives!!!

-----please------

Really, no worse than Auntie Sponge from James and the Giant Peach.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
This is one we'll have to Netflix. The boys weren't too excited over seeing it so we skipped out on it...no sense spending the money for something they weren't really up to. :) Up, Night at the Museum 2, and Monsters vs. Aliens are definite sees so far this year though. They also want to see Transformers 2, GI Joe, and Star Trek but yeah...Jason is going to have to watch those first before we decide whether they can go.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I read the book a couple years ago and loved it. Haven't had a chance to see the movie yet, but definitely want to see it.
Thanks for the review.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts