Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. Anne Hathaway is no Princess Diaries princess in this one. The opening scene is her getting picked up from rehab to go home for the weekend for her sister Rachel's wedding. Chopped hair, black attire, smoking and swearing are but the first glimpses of the attention seeker she is. The movie explores the complex family issues that are wont to arise with a) the return of one recovering daughter and b) the marriage of the other daughter who was left behind to pick up the pieces. Both vie to be the center of attention and the family members push each other's buttons and pull each other's heartstrings.

I really felt like I was immersed in a real family watching this. It rang very true for me from the dialogue to the performances by all the characters -the torn and protective father to the cold and distant mother and the two sisters' balancing act of love, anger and jealousy.

Tough, but wonderful to watch all the same.

4 1/2 Stars.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I agree completely. Both SU and I were blown away by it. And if you are a lover of music, the music scenes are so real and satisfying. Rachel's husband is played by Tunde Adepimbi, from TV on the Radio.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
It's currently @ home from Netflix, in the to-be-watched pile.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Just watched this yesterday.. i liked it.. i liked watching ann play a dark character.. but omg.. the wedding scenes that wouldn't end.. some of it went on far too long for my liking.. i'm not a fan of those drawn out events when i'm attending on in person, having to sit through it in my own house is even worse.

I liked the movie.. i would have liked it more if some of those scenes had some scissors taken to it.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I liked it but thought that the cold and distant mother thing was kind of a cliche.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
weird...this thread was started months ago in the movie section...i'm pretty sure...and here it is today in O&O....weird.

very different role for anne hathaway; i enjoyed it but didn't love it.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh I have to see this.
Your description of the movie had me riveted!

New movies... a new "thing" for Nance! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts