Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok. First of all I will admit I screamed so loud at one point I made both dogs and hubby jump out of their skin. And I also covered my eyes during several parts.

Tale of a New York family who has a teenage son, Matt, with cancer who is going to CT for treatment. The long daily drives are too much for Mom and Matt so they decide to rent a place in CT. They get a deal on this gorgeous house and Mom, Dad, Matt, 2 little kids and their cousin who has been babysitting the kids all move in.

Matt takes the basement for his bedroom and discovers a locked off section. He begins to see things...a boy keeps haunting his dreams and he has visions of this kid doing seances.(Now this could be a result of his treatment...but we all know it isn't) Behind the locked door is a mortician's room. This home used to be a funeral home. But the history of what was happening to the bodies is far from the benign makeup and hair jobs. Horrible things happened here and the spirits are pissed.

This was supposedly based on the true story of a family in similar circumstances in Southington, CT. The documentary on the dvd interviewed the mother and the boys. While they were interviewing? The crucifix on the wall in the room fell off the wall! They also had the Warrens come investigate. The Warrens are reknown paranormal researchers and they believed this family. Whether you do or not...good creepy horror flick!

4 STARS

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I am so excited for this to come out on OD!! Great review, Missy!! :)

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I didn't find it very scary. It had the potential, but missed the mark. I like a kind of understated creepy, like when they opened the closet door that had the large mirror hanging on the inside, and as it swung open you saw a dark figure in the room with them, but when they closed it there was nothing there. I like the believeable scary, otherwise it's just... not. I like it when a movie grabs you by the throat & makes you think, "OMG, that could so happen" . the ones that make you wake up in a sweat because you feel eyes starng at you... but no one is there. No one human, anyway ;)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I'm with Tee. I thought this was a MAJOR disappointment. The whole ectoplasm bluck was just stupid. SCARIER, imho, was the interview. Had they stuck to the story as it happened, it may have worked better. I kept thinking, looking at this brooding Amityville-style house in the middle of nowhere: "Who in her right mind would live there and keep her young children there??" I thought the REAL house, in the middle of a suburban street with bright sunshine and real neighbors, had the potential for a much scarier story, overlaying the normalcy of the surroundings w/the darkness that happened under the roof.

I also thought the actor playing the husband had the emotional range and acting talent of a clothespin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts