Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you look up curmudgeon in the dictionary you will find a picture of Clint Eastwood as Walt in this movie. Cranky old Korean war vet who just lost his wife, Walt is clinging to his prejudices in an ever-changing society. His neighborhood is now a ghetto filled with immigrants from Hmung. He sits on his front porch drinking beer and muttering insults at his neighbors. When the boy next door, Tao, tries to steal his car (the Gran Torino) as part of a gang initiation...Walt goes for the gun and takes aim. Scared Tao refuses a 2nd chance at joining the gang and Walt steps in to corral the crude gang members on his lawn. To pay off his debt to Walt, young Tao works for him...and Walt, despite himself, becomes a father figure for the boy. But the gang is not done with Tao. Nor is Walt done with the gang.

I could not believe some of the things coming out of Eastwood's mouth in this movie. The character is so bigoted and intolerant. But as he gets to know his nieghbors and understand their culture...he softens a bit. But he's a tough old guy...Dirty Harry at 78. Don't mess with him.

Powerful drama.

4 STARS

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I actually didn't like this one. Thought it was boring.
:eek:

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I liked it; didn't love it. In fact I thought it was a bit slow. But I LOVE Clint so came back to it. I liked the "story" of the movie.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I really liked this movie. It broke my heart a little.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I liked it.. spent most of it wondering how you train a lab to sleep on a front porch without being tied.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I loved it, but didn't realize I loved it until the end...during it, I thought it was kind of dragging...I think a lot of people thought the same as me because at the end when people normally get up and push and shove to get out of the theater, we all just kind of sat there for a good 5+ minutes...nobody moved!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts