Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made by the same team who brought you Nightmare Before Christmas (one of my all time favs) brings Neil Gaiman's tale of Coraline in the same stop-motion style. And it is a feast for the eyes.

But I wouldn't recommend this for children. First of all, the plot is a nightmare for kids. Coraline (voiced by Dakota Fanning) has just moved with her parents to an old pink victorian. Her parents are workaholics who pay little attention to Coraline. She's left to fend for her own, meeting the neighbors: two aging actresses with their collection of black Scotties and penchant for taffy and the weird Mr. B who is trying to train mice for circus. There is also WhyB (who explains his name is short for Why Be Born) who gives Coraline a doll that looks exactly like her...but with buttons for eyes.

The doll leads Coraline to a mysterious door in the old house which leads to...a much happier version of the old house. And copies of her parents...only with buttons for eyes. These "other" parents are attentive and happy to see her and plan surprises and get her presents. Life is wonderful on the other side of the door...but its a trick. The Other parents want her to stay. And want Coraline to replace her eyes with buttons...and things get very creepy from here.

Again, not a tale for children. But a visual paradise. The garden in the Other world is so magnificent and the colors and effects are stunning.

Highly recommend!

4 STARS

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I can't wait to see this, glad to hear it was good. I asked my granddaughter if she wanted to watch it with me and she said "NO!" it's too scary. I didn't know that. Good thing she turned me down.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Hm. We took our (then) 8 y.o. and she loved it. Our only regret was not seeing it in 3D. There is weirdness, but parents who know their kids' stomachs for such stuff should be okay, either allowing or purposefully NOT allowing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts