Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Curious? That's the word you're going for? Curious? Huh. I'm thinking more like...Freaky, but ok...suit yourself.

Cate Blanchette plays Daisy...a mumbling old woman on her deathbed who asks her daughter to read a diary to her during her last hours. It is not her diary, but that of Benjamin Button.

So Brad Pitt plays Benjamin, who is born old and grows young. He's left on the doorstep of a nursing home so he fits right in and noone questions his..."medical issues". Benjamin learns about life and loss early on in a nursing home. He also meets his one true love as a young girl, Daisy, ... the granddaughter of one of the live-ins. As time moves on ... and she goes forward and he's goes backward ... they drift in and out of each other's lives on the wind that seems to be forever blowing in the background. But they can't fight what is between them ... which only time can take away.

Good story. Kinda Forest Gump sappy..."make what you can of every day" sort of theme. Ummm...the old man/baby was creepy. Like "V" lizard baby creepy. And some of the CGI work they did on Cate Blanchett and Brad Pitt to make them look younger...looked really weird. I thought it was nice enough...but I wasn't overwhelmed by the script.

3 STARS

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
so dissappointing. Interesting story though. Forest Gump is what my hubby said too!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I enjoyed it. Here's a concept that would work as a sci fi movie -- what if someone lived his life backward -- and it was turned into a romance. Interesting twist.

I also found it extremely sad. Yes, as we age, we all say goodbye to the people in our lives, but there was something just so... tragic about Daisy holding Baby Benjamin at the end that left me in a wash of melancholy.

The Hurricane Katrina thing was a weird overlay.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
but there was something just so... tragic about Daisy holding Baby Benjamin at the end that left me in a wash of melancholy.
Oh man. :(
I haven't seen it yet, waiting for it come out on OD.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Good story overall, but I found it a bit too long. They focused a lot on him being older and not as much on his younger days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts