Just Labradors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copied from my post on imdb.com:

7 of 10 stars

I've seen only one other Sam Mendes movie ("American Beauty") and also found that entertaining but seriously flawed in the character of Ricky Fits, the linchpin of the movie around whom everything revolved. I'm a retired clinical psychologist with much experience working with character disorders and Ricky Fits displayed an amalgam of incompatible symptoms and characteristics I couldn't imagine in my wildest dreams.

"Away We Go" has dabs of that quality but is also a quite entertaining, improbable comedy -- somewhat as a cartoon may exaggerate some features to make a valid point.

The principal characters, John Krasinski/"Burt" & Maya Rudolph/"Verona" are an interesting unmarried committed couple who are expecting their first child in 3 months. Per the script, Verona is far brighter and sharper than Burt and the movie reveals few hints at what pulls them together other than that Verona is in quiet, ultimate control and Burt is satisfied with that. They're both excellent in their roles but it's Rudolph's portrayal that provides the glue that makes the film work.

Faced with responsibly bringing their child in the world, they've decided to settle near friends or family; their first choice is to be near his parents but they're distressed to find they've made plans to be in Belgium for the next 2 years and are completely focused on anticipating their fun and lives there rather than fulfilling ANY role as the child's grandparents.

The couple flies around North America, making a variety of stops visiting family members or old friends but fairly consistently finding those visits marred by the exaggerated (IMO) one-dimensionality of the people they're visiting. Although exaggerated, these sketches provide much of the humor--as well as poignancy on their visit with friends in Montreal and his brother in Florida.

No hints are given as to how a couple in such apparently modest circumstances can afford so many flights, trains, rental cars, hotels, motels, etc. Possibly Verona has an inheritance they'd been saving for such an event as this and a childbirth without insurance? Maybe Burt's grandfather left him an inheritance?

The film closes on an upbeat ending with a new beginning. The couple decide to move into the home in which Verona grew up. While earlier her sister (with whom she shared ownership) had told her it was rented, as of now it's vacant and the couple will start their new lives as a family there.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I just watched this last week. And while I found the two main characters to be kind of bland, all the people they visited were hysterical! The stereotypes of different parenting styles taken to such extremes...OMG...Allison Janney asking her daughter to show off her "butch walk" was so funny! So wrong, but so funny! And Maggie Gyllenhal and her hippy dippy husband with the family bed and the seahorse fetish...crying I was laughing so hard. If only to see those two segments alone ... rent this!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I haven't seen "Away We Go" but boy do I agree w/you on "American Beauty," one of the most overblown, over-praised movie messes ever.

If I were a jumbled up mid-life crisis sufferer who was out back in an alleyway doing drugs, and my wife happened on the scene, the LAST thing on the PLANET she would do would be to say: "Okay. See you when you're finished..."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts