Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a lab that is still VERY mouthy at 6 months old. My puppy gets very nippy when she is excited or frustrated. Is this normal? Help please.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
As I recall, both of mine were a bit mouthy at that age, but it was getting better. When yours starts to get mouthy, give him/her something appropriate to chew on. Should have finished teething by then. If nipping on you is theproblem, what worked best with mine is to give a loud yelp, and then turn your back and walk away. Be sure you also reward good behavior also.

Many have used other methods in addition to these and will chime in. Good luck, and can we see pics, please! What is the name?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
HA! Jake is 2 and is very mouthy. He grabs everyone's wrists. He doesn't bite, just holds them in his mouth.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Jeb was very mouthy at that age and my arms had the marks to prove it. He has improved with age. He'll get mouthy with me when he thinks it's time for me to get up from a nap or if he's overtired. But otherwise is much better. Be patient and consistent. He'll get the message.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
HA! Jake is 2 and is very mouthy. He grabs everyone's wrists. He doesn't bite, just holds them in his mouth.
Penny (who isn't a lab) does this and she is around 5 months old. I try not to let her but it's so cute!

Molly (who is a lab) is 3 and likes to hold onto my shirt sleeves or the bottom of my shirt.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I got Diesel at 6 months (his 3rd home) and he was much more mouthy than I thought was reasonable at that point. We stopped it in the first few weeks we had him. By we I mean - partially the people and mostly my Dutch Shepherd who kicked his butt when he put his teeth on me or any other person here.

Having an adult dog around makes puppy raising so much more tolerable!

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks so much for all your input. i am glad to realize it is not just my pup. I had a lab for almost 14 years. i dont remember her being this mouthy...but she probably was, it was a long time ago. Thanks again:)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Your pup is probably still in the later stages of teething where their new teeth set ... but Labs are also generally a very mouthy breed. I think it's normal. Milly was very mouthy between 6 - 8 months.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Homer is like Jake. He´s 2 and still mouthy. Labs love to have things in their mouths. He doesn´t hurt me and that´s the way he is, he only does it to me and not to other people, so I really couldn´t care less. He´s a physical dog!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts