Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a lot of milk in my freezer that I don't think we'll need for Aubrey since she's still eating well and I'm producing plenty yet. I've been thinking about donating it for a while and I finally filled out the online form today to start the process. Hopefully its pretty simple. I know it says they will do a blood test to check for any diseases but that's about all the info it has online other than the criteria check list which I meet.

Has anyone else donated any extra milk to a milk bank? Was it pretty simple?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Who does it get donated to?

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
No grosser then drinking milk from a bovine!

I think its a great idea. Mother's milk IS best, especially for preemies.

But you know Barbara you could use that milk in the future - for baby cereal or what have you. Heck, they recommend in Canada to breast feed until two years old.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
What an awesome thing for you to do Barb :) Thanks for helping out families and babies in need!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Really an awesome thing Kel - it will help save some babies - not gross...(just you wait!) good luck barb!
Maybe, but to me it's a tad creepy.. i'd be horrified to grow up and find out i drank some unknown woman's milk. :eek:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's pasturized just like the milk we drink and they screen the doners to make sure they are healthy it's really important for babies that are really small or have health issues.

I have at least 720oz in the freezer now and I'm running out of room. I pump enough for her bottles at the sitter and her cereal so I don't really use any extra now. I'll keep at least enough for a few extra weeks at the sitters just incase I would get sick and not be able to feed her a few days. I figure there are babies out there that really need it where if I had to stop today Aubrey would be fine.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Maybe, but to me it's a tad creepy.. i'd be horrified to grow up and find out i drank some unknown woman's milk. :eek:
Hee,hee! No - it's better to drink it from a large, cud-chewing, cow-pie shitting, animal that has no relationship to people at all. That's much more natural ;)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
And while I'll stick up for breastfeeding anyday, I must admit that many years ago while I was working as a nurse in a hospital, I grabbed some milk out of our floor fridge to put in my coffee. I was just about to take a big gulp when one of my co-workers came in and asked where the container with her breast milk was! Needless to say, I spewed that coffee out of my mouth LOL

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And while I'll stick up for breastfeeding anyday, I must admit that many years ago while I was working as a nurse in a hospital, I grabbed some milk out of our floor fridge to put in my coffee. I was just about to take a big gulp when one of my co-workers came in and asked where the container with her breast milk was! Needless to say, I spewed that coffee out of my mouth LOL
LOL Yeah I wouldn't drink it myself but that's too funny. I keep mine in a cooler that came with my pump when I'm at work so I don't have to worry about that.;)

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
No grosser then drinking milk from a bovine!

I think its a great idea. Mother's milk IS best, especially for preemies.

But you know Barbara you could use that milk in the future - for baby cereal or what have you. Heck, they recommend in Canada to breast feed until two years old.

That. :)

I think it's a wonderful thing. I nursed both of my girls until they were 1. Just think of the wonderful antibodies you will be providing those little babies. =)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts