Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me? or are there way more sick labs here than usual? So many threads with sick dogs...diarrhea, vomiting, blood in stool.

Maybe I am just hyper aware now with all of the recalls and it's no more than normal but it sure seems like there are more daily reports of ill dogs.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Seems to me that we've had more than our fair share lately. :-\

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
It scares me. :( Tucker is never sick and the amount of times he threw up was just not him.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
budbud said:
I was thinking the same thing!!
I have been very vigilant with keeping an eye on my girls health. The food issues keep me wondering. All the sick pups on JL makes me nervous too. Hopefully its coincidental.

All you JL pups, get better quickly.

·
Registered
533 Posts
mine JUST threw up 30 minutes ago too, but he hasn't gotten a new bag of food, or anything different lately, so i'm scratchin my head right now.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Someone, I don't remember who was kind enough to include some information on a pett food recall thread. I subscribed to this and now get an update almost daily. Here is an email to me I just copied.

Full details:
http://www.itchmo.com/read/melamine-spiking-in-food-widespread-for-years_20070429

We will just let the story speak for itself. No more denials, no more hemming and hawing by the FDA. Time to take massive cautionary action is now. It's not just animal feed anymore. It's not just pet food. It's a crisis. It's been going on for years.

Highlights below from the IHT article:

Here at the Shandong Mingshui Great Chemical Group factory, huge boiler vats are turning coal into melamine, which is used to create plastics and fertilizer.

But the leftover melamine scrap, small acorn-sized chunks of white rock, is then being sold to local entrepreneurs, who say they secretly mix a powdered form of the scrap into animal feed to artificially enhance the protein level.

"It just saves money," says a manager at an animal feed factory here. "Melamine scrap is added to animal feed to boost the protein level."

The practice is widespread in China. For years animal feed sellers have been able to cheat buyers by blending the powder into feed with little regulatory supervision, according to interviews with melamine scrap traders and agricultural workers here.

More at www.itchmo.com

I agree.....lots of sick dogs out there!

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
It definitely seems there are more sick dogs out there than normal. I feel so bad for the pups who have been sick.

And I'm VERY nervous about what to feed, with all the recalls.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Saying some extra prayers for all the ill & ailing JL puppers!!!

Also sending lots of get-well wishes their way.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Add one more sick lab. I didn't post about Sally's blood in her stool. But last Sunday (week ago yesterday), I noticed a little bright red blood on the outside of her stool. I didn't think anything about it because she had chewed off....and swallowed....a piece of hubby's hard plastic pad his office chair rolls on. So I thought it had irritated her as she passed it. I know bright red blood on the outside of a stool is not all that critical as compared to darker blood inside the stool.

The blood was still the same on Monday. Then Tuesday I had her at the dog park and she pooped. There were (sorry to be gross!) big hunks of bloody something-or-other stuff all in her poop...and it was very....VERY loose. Very different from what it had been.

I collected it, and it was too late to go to vet that day, but I called the vet Wednesday morning. Since she had no other symptoms at all, he had me bring in the stool sample (plus that morning's which also had the yucky blood). He sent it off to the lab. It came back negative for parasites, so they had me bring her in. He said it was probably some form of colitis and gave her an antibiotic.

She's fine now....normal stools....no blood. But you can add her name to the list of sick JL labs! ::)

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I have to agree. Maybe it's just the timing of it but with all the food recalls, I worry. Molly had 2 bouts of throwing up after swimming in a pond. That was the only thing different. We resting her tummy , she ate boiled ground round & rice for 3 days & had Reglan from the vet, she is fine now. Abby swam in the same pond & was fine. They also eat the same food.
Her stool sample was negative for parasites & the vet said to just watch her. She may have drank more pond water & it upset her stomach. She never had diarrhea, just throwing up.

I hope all the sick puppers are feeling better.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mary Jane said:
Someone, I don't remember who was kind enough to include some information on a pett food recall thread. I subscribed to this and now get an update almost daily. Here is an email to me I just copied.

Full details:
http://www.itchmo.com/read/melamine-spiking-in-food-widespread-for-years_20070429

We will just let the story speak for itself. No more denials, no more hemming and hawing by the FDA. Time to take massive cautionary action is now. It's not just animal feed anymore. It's not just pet food. It's a crisis. It's been going on for years.

Highlights below from the IHT article:

Here at the Shandong Mingshui Great Chemical Group factory, huge boiler vats are turning coal into melamine, which is used to create plastics and fertilizer.

But the leftover melamine scrap, small acorn-sized chunks of white rock, is then being sold to local entrepreneurs, who say they secretly mix a powdered form of the scrap into animal feed to artificially enhance the protein level.

"It just saves money," says a manager at an animal feed factory here. "Melamine scrap is added to animal feed to boost the protein level."

The practice is widespread in China. For years animal feed sellers have been able to cheat buyers by blending the powder into feed with little regulatory supervision, according to interviews with melamine scrap traders and agricultural workers here.

More at www.itchmo.com

I agree.....lots of sick dogs out there!
I think it was my post... ZoeZoe got me onto itchmo and they tend to have information before the FDA site does.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I think there is an increase as well. I'm scared for Dakota the vet did some blood work even though appears fine today. It jsut makes me so nervous. Prayer for all the sick puppers.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm with all of you...... I have been thinking there were a lot of sick Labs, and everytime I read about another one I have wondered if it were food related...... this is a scary time ........ I wish we would STOP importing food from other countries..... be it pet food, or human food !

Melissa
;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts