Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a way to monitor seizues when you are not home (to know length between seizures)?

Are there many causes to epilepsy? Or is it mostly caused by a few things? Can you get a full diagnosis thru a vet even without seeing a seizure (as in when you adopt a dog with seizures?) Would these tests be more costly than they are worth (i.e. just treating seizures more efficient)?

What is the approx cost (range) for meds?

Is this something that always progresses? Or can you be on low to no meds until a dog is older?

Sorry if any of these questions are silly, as mentionned before I have never had to deal with this and people who inquire about him have lots of questions along these lines (especially cost of meds and diagnosis of seizures).

From what we "hear" from his prior home, his seizures were a few months apart. He is only three. It has apparently been a few months since his last seizure at this point and he hasn't had one since coming into rescue on Sat (which I see as a good sign as it has been a stressful period - he went to the head of the rescue Sat afternoon, another foster home on Sat night, then came to me on Sunday morning).

He is, to me, a completely normal dog, very high energy and well behaved. It's pretty crazy. It sucks that he would make a great match for lots of families who won't want him simply because of this epilepsy thing (and to be COMPLETELY honest, I would be the same way!)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
We placed a dog from CMLRN that has epilepsy. Phenobarbitol works well for Sawyer, but his new family has to have his levels and liver checked every 6 to 8 months. They have learned some of his triggers...mostly are changes in routine or high stress times...but really, they have been under control and they are happy with the dog. It's going to be different for every dog, so I'm not sure what to tell you aout that. Phenobarb here in the states isn't expensive. I believe they pay $11 a month for his meds.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I worked for a vet many years ago...and also had a lab that had genetic epilepsy. One of the observations my vet had is that dogs don't seem to have seizures when people aren't around. In the ten years I worked for him, nobody with epileptic dogs ever had any evidence (like overturned furniture etc.) that a dog had a seizure when they weren't there. The same was true for Travis. Travis generally had one 2-3 seizures a year (and they weren't grand mal) so I opted not to medicate him. But on a comparative scale they weren't expensive meds. Not that I wish a epileptic dog on anyone, if I were looking for a rescue, I would consider an epileptic. It was a little sad but not a big issue.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dani - did you have a harder time places that pup? guess that probably just depends who sees him. I find it difficult as they ask questions I cannot answer (we haven't gotten the vet info from his previous owners and the rescue hasn't had him at their vet yet) and realistically until he has a seizure and we start documenting there isn't a whole lot we can tell them other than potential med costs (personally I believe he is not at a stage to be medicated yet...but I am not a vet!)

very interesting they believe seizures rarely/never happen when you are not home. I imagine seeing one is
terrible but I would hate for them to occur while I am gone.

Still no signs of anything yet. i believe this to be good given the stress he has been thru and even (i just learned) a change of food.

Been doing some reading and it really does seem like each case is different. guess we will have to wait and see if/when one occurs and start making notes. I would like to (personally) take him to the vet but he is healthy and that isn't my call.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts