Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29117041/

Octuplet mom getting public aid

Feb. 10: After denying getting government assistance, a publicist for mother-of-14 Nadya Suleman confirms she gets $490 a month in food stamps and federal support for her three children with disabilities. TODAY’s Ann Curry reports.
By Mike Celizic

The California woman who gave birth to octuplets has no income and intends to use student loans to care for them and her other six children at home, all under the age of 8.

“Do you have any income at all?” TODAY’s Ann Curry asked Nadya Suleman during her exclusive interview with the 33-year-old mother of 14 children.

“At the moment, no,” Suleman replied, adding that she intended to use student loans “temporarily” to pay for her family’s care.

“Right now, you don’t have an income to provide for your children?” Curry repeated.

“Probably just with the student loans,” Suleman said. “I am providing for my children. I am. And that will probably run out by the time I go back to school. So I have my own way. It’s an alternative way, but it works.”

Public backlash
Curry told TODAY’s Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira that while many people view the birth of octuplets as a miracle, “there has been an intense public backlash,” particularly from people who see the cost of raising the children ultimately being borne by taxpayers.

“I’m responsible. I am not on welfare,” Suleman told Curry. “I don’t want to disparage or seem like I’m disparaging any individual who uses welfare as a form of a resource. It can be a valuable resource. I’ve chosen never to go on welfare. I feel that it is my responsibility to do what I can to provide for my children.”

But published reports say that Suleman is receiving at least two forms of public assistance.

All of Suleman’s children are under the age of 8, and she now has 10 children under the age of 2. According to The Los Angeles Times, three of her older children have disabilities and receive Supplemental Security Income. In addition, Suleman reportedly receives $490 a month in food stamps from the state of California.

NBC chief medical editor Dr. Nancy Snyderman has estimated that the cost of delivering the octuplets and keeping them in neonatal intensive care until they are ready to leave the hospital will be $1.5 million to $3 million. The Los Angeles Times has reported that Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, where the babies will remain for several weeks, has asked California’s medical insurance program, Medi-Cal, to pay the tab.

‘Not welfare’
Michael Furtney, a publicist for Suleman, told The Associated Press that Suleman does not think of the public funds she does receive as welfare.

“In Nadya's view, the money that she gets from the food stamp program ... and the resources disabilities payments she gets for her three children are not welfare,” he said. “They are part of programs designed to help people with need, and she does not see that as welfare.”

From 1997 to 2006, Suleman was employed by a state mental hospital. She was disabled in a riot in 1999 and received disability payments totaling about $165,000 until those payments stopped during her pregnancy.

Suleman said she intends to go back to college in the fall to get a degree in counseling. She told Curry that while she was still able to work, she saved as much money as she could as she lived with her mother, Angela.

“I was able to work double shifts — constantly working double shifts. I was hoarding my money — nonstop working. I really didn’t have much of a social life,” Suleman said. “My friends would go, ‘Are you saving for a house, a car?’

‘No, I’m saving for babies.’ ”

After trying for seven years to get pregnant, Suleman turned to in vitro fertilization, paying for “several” of the procedures she has undergone with the money she saved.

Curry asked how much money she spent on in vitro procedures.

“I don’t know. I would say close to 100,” Suleman replied.

A hundred thousand dollars?” Curry asked.

“Probably,” Suleman said. “Yeah, definitely.”

[/quote]

HOW HAS SOCIAL SERVICES NOT TAKEN THIS WOMAN'S CHILDREN AWAY??? :mad:

T

·
0 Posts
Her mom seems to have had it from listening to her talk, she's taking care of these kids and the grandfather...my coworker and I were talking and she thinks it's cool that they all have soo many brothers and sisters to grow up with, I told her she can't pay for those kids, my coworkers answer is "So, those kids can all work when they get older" WTF, I replied "Who's going to pay for them now?" Me, you and my a$$, our tax money :ugly:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I am not sure what to say, that has not already been said!

She is total whacko :crazy:. She says she's not getting any welfare, but gets Food Stamps & SSI Disability. Newsflash darling Nadya, any monies you get that you did not earn from work is essentially welfare!

As for paying to care for her 14 kids with student loans... that money usually goes directly to the school (at least my student loan money always did). I don't see the school handing it over to her to take care of the kids.

You have NO income... yet you go and have 8 more kids! Where the hell is Child Protective Services at? She has 6 kids, 3 with disabilities... what the **** did you need more kids for??

I read the interview with her mother, she is definitely pissed having to take care of the 6 during all this.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Can I play devil's advocate here, for a sec?

First - I AGREE THAT 14 KIDS ALL UNDER THE AGE OF 7 YEARS OLD IS INSANE AND THAT SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN DENIED IVF BEFORE SHE EVEN FINISHED FILLING OUT THE NECESSARY PAPERWORK TO GET IT.

Okay. Clear? That's my view. Just so it doesn't blur downthread.

Now: Don't we, in this country, value a female's reproductive choices to the nth degree? So wasn't she fully within her right to choose to have these children?

Flip the issue over: Can you imagine the hew and cry if she had been tossed out of the IVF program? How many protestors would ascend, screaming that her reproductive rights were being tampered with and HOW DARE THEY?!?!?!?! The 'slippery slope' card would be played in a second: If this wanna-be mom can be turned down for whatever reason, who's next? The woman who's been trying for a zillion years and aches to be a Mom??

Just interesting to think about, IMHO.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I honestly don't give a **** how many embryos someone wants to put in their body.

I do mind when they spend my money to do it.

Who is gonna pay for all the doctors and medical expenses of the birth and care of those babies at the hospital?

Is she going to? HELL NO. So that drives up the cost of insurance and health care for everyone else.

She and her kids will be a drain on other people for years to come.

She choose to have all those kids... she can choose how she's going to pay for the expense of taking care of them.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
dweck said:
Ender's Mom said:
I'm kinda torn on what responsibility the sperm donor has.
Legally/contractually, none.

Ethically/morally, a ton. x8
I'm talking about the fact that he is her "friend"... he volunteered his sperm for this project (who knows if she could have gotten the sperm from a sperm bank... I have no idea the regulations there)... he knew about her first 6 kids, she said he wanted to meet them... etc. If he knew how nuts she was... and "enabled" her... could he be "endangering a minor" (or 14)

T

·
0 Posts
dweck said:
Are there criteria for receiving IVF? I honestly don't know.....
They can only transfer 2 embryos under 35, the most, I was never ever allowed to transfer all of mine, I still have 7 frozen embryos, if I wanted to go back, they said they would only put back 1 next time because I got pregnant with twins already and the quality of them is excellent, her doctor should have known all this before putting the mother and children in danger like this. I think it's more of people being angry at the doctors too, they did something and didn't do what was writen in their guide lines.

T

·
0 Posts
Ender's Mom said:
dweck said:
Ender's Mom said:

I'm talking about the fact that he is her "friend"... he volunteered his sperm for this project (who knows if she could have gotten the sperm from a sperm bank... I have no idea the regulations there)... he knew about her first 6 kids, she said he wanted to meet them... etc. If he knew how nuts she was... and "enabled" her... could he be "endangering a minor" (or 14)
I'm not sure if she can get anything from him, it all depends on what documents he and she signed when going through with this. I know that with my frozen embryos if SU and I were to get divorced I signed and SU signed that the embryos are mine to keep, if we get divorced though and I decide to use them on my own, he doesn't pay child support on any of my frozen embyos because we're divorced and legally he doesn't have to pay.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Ender's Mom said:
dweck said:
Ender's Mom said:

I'm talking about the fact that he is her "friend"...
I didn't know that......

RG's probably right then: Depends on what he signed/agreed-to when he.... um.... donated.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Tundra Aries said:
dweck said:
They can only transfer 2 embryos under 35,
There are actually no legal rules regarding this, only guidelines. I have a friend that had 3 embryos transferred when she was around 30. I know a lot of fertility docs will transfer 2-3 embryos. They start to transfer more when the age is advanced, egg quality is less and there's less chance of implantation.

And, as far as I know, there is no criteria for receiving IVF beyond ability to pay. There is a lot of Q&A and when there is a partner/spouse, like RG said, all the legal ramifications of frozen embryos and divorce are laid out well before the process is ever started.

The problem I have with the whole thing is the transferring of 6 embryos into a 33-year-old woman. It amounts to malpractice as far as I'm concerned - it puts her and the babies at risk.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
you can bet that now that the banks know about her using student loans for her family (thought that was illegal anyway) they won't want to approve anything for her.

i get so angry at this woman i can't see straight. i know that she has reproductive rights and it's great that women get those but the kids are the ones who suffer for their parents stupidity. if a woman is living off food stamps, doesn't have an income, and is waiting on student loans to help her out, she doesn't need anymore children. she should be spending time with the ones she has, especially the ones with special needs.

T

·
0 Posts
Melissa said:
Tundra Aries said:
dweck said:
They can only transfer 2 embryos under 35,
There are actually no legal rules regarding this, only guidelines. I have a friend that had 3 embryos transferred when she was around 30. I know a lot of fertility docs will transfer 2-3 embryos. They start to transfer more when the age is advanced, egg quality is less and there's less chance of implantation.

And, as far as I know, there is no criteria for receiving IVF beyond ability to pay. There is a lot of Q&A and when there is a partner/spouse, like RG said, all the legal ramifications of frozen embryos and divorce are laid out well before the process is ever started.

The problem I have with the whole thing is the transferring of 6 embryos into a 33-year-old woman. It amounts to malpractice as far as I'm concerned - it puts her and the babies at risk.
Oh, I know that they're only guidelines, I know someone too that had 3 embryos transferred and she was 40 and all 3 implanted, she actually fought with her doctor to get them all transferred, he didn't want to do it, but did. Transferring 6 is just insane and especially at once, I've never heard of anyone having that many transferred, I don't know if it was a 3 day transfer or a 5 day transfer that she had, that also depends on them implanting, if it's a 5 day transfer they say it may have a better chance.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
“In Nadya's view, the money that she gets from the food stamp program ... and the resources disabilities payments she gets for her three children are not welfare,” he said. “They are part of programs designed to help people with need, and she does not see that as welfare.”
Somebody explain to me how this is not welfare?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts