Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(
I stopped counting after 16. What I'm worrying about is what I feel on TOP of his back, about 6-8" in from the base of his tail. Do they grow everywhere? So far, they were all on his lower sides, upper leg area and under both front legs in what I refer to as 'armpits.' Most of the new tiny ones are all on his belly. This is the first time I've felt anything on top of his back. This is making me nervous. It's a definite lump on the top of his back.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Pam, I have nothing to say to help, except that I am sorry and praying for you. (((hugs)))

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Scooby is my dog with lots of lipomas and one of his is on his back, close to his spine, about 3" or 4" above his tail. Try not to worry but still have the vet check any new lump.

C

·
0 Posts
Pam - Yes, lipomas can grow anywhere although on the back seems to be a less common location than some of the others that you mentioned. My first two labs both had lots of them, mostly on their sides, bellies and necks but one girl had a big one right at the corner of her mouth. I agree with mattgusmum that it's a good idea to have your vet check any new bumps just to on the safe side. Good thoughts for Buddy and you.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have him checked but he never had one in such an odd place. After reading above about the one in the corner of the mouth, I guess they do pop up everywhere.
The vet told me if they seem to move freely under the skin not to worry. It's when they attach to an organ that they are bad. She doesn't even want to remove any more from him unless they get too big or cause him discomfort when he sits or lays down. There are 2 that stand out more than the others. We are keeping a watchful eye on those. *sigh*
It's getting to the point where I don't even want to pet him anymore. I get too depressed. :'(

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
My old boy Shadow was lumpy and bumpy and I just had to love him bumps and all. My old Golden had some that grew inside muscle tissue in his rear leg. His leg was twice the size of the other one, and it was because of a danged lipoma inside the muscle... major surgery to get it out too.

I've been reading that holisitic folks feel lipomas may be due to problems with vaccination and liver dysfunction. There are some holistic treatments, but not for lipomas already visible (but should prevent further development of new ones). You might want to check into it.

Check out this thread --
http://www.justlabradors.com/forum/index.php/topic,44549.0.html

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
(((HUGS))) Pam. I don't have much experience on this, but I just want you to know I'm here for you if you need to talk. You were there so much for me when Emma had to go through surgery. I hope it's just another lipoma.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hope it isn't any different from the rest of his bumps....... keeping him in my thoughts and prayers.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Mira has one alongside her spine. The vet got a sample and it was a lipoma. I think they can grow anywhere. She just had one as big as a large orange taken out from her abdominal area under the muscle.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
No experience with lipomas, just wanted to say I hope it's just another one. I know they can grow anywhere. Our neighbors lab/golden has alot of them, & they don't bother her so the vet does not remove them.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the encouragement - and Linda, thanks for that link.
I just get scared now that he's 9 that some will get too big and have to come out. Seems like yesterday that I found the first one and how I panicked until you all told me what it was and not to worry. And for that, I'll be forever grateful. I just HATE HATE HATE these things.

P.S. I believe you are all correct in that I fed him Science Diet the first few years of his life - before I came in here and got educated about food and chemicals, etc. So I carry some guilt around with me - for being stupid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts