Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, remember I was whining about hormones last week? :p Some of you gave me some advice about what to eat and what not to eat: I am going shopping tonight, and I'm going to get Soy Milk, soy nuts, plenty of fish and NO chicken. ;) I'll report back on how this goes!

Meanwhile, something else I have been noticing lately is sometimes when I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror during the day, my cheeks look all red and flushed. Just like this: :-[

:D

Anyway, I have noticed this a few times on and off but didn't think much of it. Then, this weekend we were at my Mom's for dinner. She said, "Why are your cheeks so red? Did you get out in the sun?" I went and looked in the mirror and it was that same :-[ It just looks like I've been exercising or gotten a little sun or something. It shows up especially well on me since I am the color of chalk normally. ::)

So I was wondering: Could this be hot flashes? Mom asked me if I felt hot or weird or different in any way, and I didn't. Is this how they start? :-\

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I thought rosacea, too. My mom has it, although it didn't come on until she was in her 50s. I would check with a doctor. Does it seem to be affected by heat, spices, and sunlight?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It goes away, so I don't think it's Rosacea. ??? It's very brief/transient. And it doesn't seem to be affected by anything, as far as I can tell. I don't even notice it unless I happen to look in a mirror.

Rosacea, really? Would that come and go? I guess I know what I'll be googling tonight. :p

ETA: I don't think I really explained that this came and went, did I?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, Linda I'm 42.

I did ask my GYN about going into pre-menopause, but he seems to think no. I think a most definite yes. I don't know if you caught my thread the other day about all these ridiculous hormonal-type symptoms, but it just HAS to be that! I think? ???

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Yes, Roseca can come and go. If you have it, you'll notice the redness will seem to "blossom" more in the heat or sunlight. Sometime stress will do it.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it didn't happen after vitamins, and it doesn't happen after heat or stress. That I have noticed, anyway. But I'll start paying more attention. I am baffled!

This appeared and disappeared in about 30 minutes. When I walked in over at Mom's she noticed it, but by the time we were done eating it was gone. And my mom is the LEAST stressful person in the world to be around, btw :)

I have two aunts with Rosacea. I ran the Rosacea theory by Mom and she didn't think so, but was kind of like ??? My aunts get pimply little bumps with theirs. She said it seemed more like exercise-face, like when you walk or run or play and get your blood pressure up.

Maybe I need to make a journal. :p

·
Registered
922 Posts
Connie, that happens to my daughter (LarrytheLabsMom) when she drinks alcohol. She has a mild allergy to alcohol. Depending on what she drinks, it can be mild or really startling. Once I gave her a glass of white wine and she took a sip or two while I was stirring something on the stove. I turned around and - WHOA - her face was bright red and splotchy! Were you drinking at the time?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope, not drinking. I wasn't doing anything at the time! I hadn't eaten anything in quite a while, and all I'd had to drink is water, I wasn't stressed, I hadn't taken any medication...just suddenly I was flushing! It wasn't splotchy, but more like a blush...and then it went away probably within 30 minutes.

Mom said it looked just like a hot flash to her, and asked if I felt anything, but I didn't, so that was puzzling. As you all have said, it seems that you know it when it happens.

I'm definitely bringing it up at my next physical! Just to see if he has any ideas.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
It could very well be rosacea. Have someone take your picture when you do not see it, and see if it shows up on the photo. That was how I first noticed it on myself. I had a dark tan, but in photos I looked like I was blushing. :-[

1 - 15 of 15 Posts