Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonight Millie called and asked for a ride to the Lawrence seniors' dance if it wouldn't be inconvenient.

I kind of half way expected/hoped she'd call so this was great.

On the 30 mile trip to Lawrence, I learned that in Millie's marriage to Don, they had but one car and he did almost all the driving -- so Millie's not that comfortable driving.

At the dance, Millie (bless her!) grew concerned about a new woman visitor she saw who wasn't dancing, just sitting.

We went over and Millie encouraged the woman to participate in the "chair dances"

[Since there are more women than men, in these, a chair is placed at both the north & south ends of the dance floor and women who want to dance line up by the chair at each end; males pick up the lead female and dance with her to the <other pole> south end, drop her off at the end of that line and then dance with the lead female to the <other end> north end, etc., etc., repeating the process over and over about 7-10 times.]

Millie encouraged this woman to participate in the chair dances saying she should use that to find someone she felt comfortable dancing with and then latch on to him. !!!

Then the band played a George Straight number, "That's What They Invented Dancing For" (which I love to dance to -- especially with Millie -- and, while dancing, she said "this is our song". Here's a version of it:

Lala Song Player - I Just Want To Dance With You by George Strait

SUDDENLY, I had an epiphany that decisions that I thought were mine and that I was making were, instead -- all along -- being made by a much more masterful decision maker.

A proper humility is a good cleansing agent for many aspirations.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
SUDDENLY, I had an epiphany that decisions that I thought were mine and that I was making were, instead -- all along -- being made by a much more masterful decision maker.
See?! When are you going to see her again?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I'm more fascinated by the notion that Bob's senior dances feature a pole!!!!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Does anyone else have a picture in your head of what she looks like? :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm seeing Lucy's friend/neighbor from I Love Lucy. I can't remember her name (no, not Ethel!). She always wore a girly dress, had short brown, curly hair....

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I always pictured Millie as the Jane Powell type:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.