Just Labradors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand why the media is not covering this. It is downright scary. As if we don't have enough to worry about.
If you have time to watch this... what are your feelings? I am really thinking a lot of problems today, like peanut allergy and autism might be related to the genetically modified foods.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/67878/the-future-of-food

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I am really thinking a lot of problems today, like peanut allergy and autism might be related to the genetically modified foods.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/67878/the-future-of-food

Whereas I think there are generally too many lawyers *period* (and big corporations who fuel them), I'm not sure I could ever agree that GM foods are to blame for the health woes we see. Many many of the GM products have been quite positive. Russet and scab resistent apple varieties (in my industry) replace the need for fungicide applications, for instance. I had to laugh that the video said there were only 4 potato varieties any more. Has that producer been to the supermarket lately? Maybe 4 colors to choose from!

If any foods are to blame for chronic health problems, convenience foods would be at the top of my hit list. We live in a society where everything has to be highly preserved, fast or super tasty. People w/ health issues (including nasty allergies, asthma, and morbid obesity, etc) are going to all ends to have children, and we wonder why those kids are unhealthy?

If environment is to blame, maybe we're looking in the wrong direction. When I was a kid (in the era of DDT, parathion, etc, btw), I'd take hikes out thru our orchard, climb a few trees, wipe the spray residue off an apple on my sleeve or pants and eat it when I got hungry (again, residues that were FAR more nasty than today's "soft" chemicals), go back to the river flats and collect sassafras root for tea or wildflowers or leaves... get a mean game of ice hockey going w/ neighbor kids on the frozen river flats, you name it. We could entertain ourselves for hours and our parents never worried about us. Kids don't do that kind of stuff anymore. I wonder if they get enough natural sunlight and fresh air sitting in front of the "Boob tube" or playing with all their computer games etc..

JMNSHO, and yes, I work in the ag industry and though I don't agree w/ everything we do w/ our food supply, I do believe that our ag commodities are much safer and healthier today than it was 20-30 yrs ago. My dogs also eat a TON of apples and pears every fall... and I'm not seeing any negative health issues like so many complain about. Anne

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Didn't watch the whole thing, just don't have an hour and a half, but I tend to think this stuff is overblown. Not that there isn't some truth to the fact that we should pay a lot more attention to our food supply system and how it functions, but like everything produced that wants you to believe their viewpoint, they make everything a crisis.

The film is also touted on a lot of websites that sell vegan cat food and hemp chips, so that makes me question its credibility a bit as I firmly believe that if you are buying vegan food for your cat, you are by definition a fruit loop.

I believe a lot of what Anne says. Our entire culture has changed dramatically in the last 50 years and there are bound to be some longterm consequences from eating frozen crap instead of homemade, fruit rolls instead of fruit, and sitting on your butt instead of riding your bike.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I didn't watch the whole video.
I do agree with Anne--we have to take responsibility for our lifestyle, obesity, and health issues. The whole "hand sanitizer in every pocket" is ridiculous. And probably results in so many resistant bacteria.

But on the other hand--where did all these peanut allergies come from? I don't remember anyone having peanut allergies when I was a kid. And the whole idea of Monsanto suing farmers because their seed was cross pollinated without their knowledge! I think those farmers should sue Monsanto for ruining their seed--not the other way around.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I hate Monsanto.

From Posilac (rBGH) to Roundup Ready seeds to bullying and suing farmers - nothing would please me as much as to watch consumers decide they want an end to GM crops and Monsanto to wither and die a slow, painful corporate death.

Monsanto's Harvest of Fear, Vanity Fair, May 2008

1 - 7 of 7 Posts