Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while so I thought I would update. At the moment Mocha is still with us things have improved some but she's still so anxious and just not settled. We're giving up on the rescue that was supposed to be looking for a foster for her they came and did her evaluation and said she would be a good candidate and then we have not heard anything from them since and can't get them to respond to my inquiries.

I've been putting off doing anything because I don't want to rehome her but we have to it's just not right for her to be this stressed and it's so stressful for us as well. So last week I contacted Shamrock which is an all breed rescue here in Louisville. I got a call 5 minutes after sending my email and talked to the lady for 30 minutes! She was great and agreed with our reasons for having to rehome her and was pretty confident they could help us find her a good home. The way they work is that we will keep Mocha at home until we find a new home for her. We will take her to adoption nights on Friday nights at a local pet store so the other volenteers get to know her and people can see her. She'll also be listed on their website. They will take applications and screen any possible adoptors. If someone is interested we can meet them and even do a home visit if we want to and the choice is ours if she goes to them or not.

Although it's not what I want if I have to find her a another home I would like to know who she's with. So hopefully this will work out and we can find her a good home with someone we were able to meet maybe even keep in touch with. We're gonig to adoption night tonight for the first time hopefully things go ok.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Good luck, I hope you find a home for her soon. I know it has got to be a very tough thing to do, but it will be the best for everyone in the long run.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
So very sorry you are having to go through this. I know it is the right thing, but it is still hard. Good luck, and holding good thoughts things go well.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go figure my husband just emailed me and said he had a voice mail from the Lab rescue that we were trying to work with that they have a foster for her. I think we're going to stay with Shamrock though I really don't like the fact that we couldn't get anyone to communicate with us from the rescue I had 3 unreturned messages and the one person that did call me back had no idea what I was talking about and said she would check and call back and never did. I just don't think I want her going to an orginazation that unorganized. I really like the idea of knowing who she's going to as well and being able to meet them. Also I think if we wouldn't have to uproot her twice it would probably be better for her. GAH!!! I hope we're doing the right thing.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Barb, I know it doesn't seem right to you now, but I think I would go with the Lab rescue. They may be a bit unresponsive, but most breed rescues are not an office-run organization, they are usually run out of someone's home and therefore using individuals for fosters. They know the breed best and would be able to find the best home for Mocha.

(((hugs))) I know this has to be very hard for you.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Barb, Shamrock is where I adopted Jefferson. A friend of mine volunteers quite a bit for them, and was fostering Jefferson. (he was found roaming around)
I think they are as good--but not better in particular than a lab rescue. I know when I was looking for a lab, I had a home visit from Ky Lab Rescue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts