Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My annual Christmas eve seafood chowder is simmering on the stove, and the house smells divine. Can't wait for tomorrow night! Of course, I have to taste test, just to be sure it is just as good as last year ;)

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
PM me some, good seafood is scarce around here and very expensive when you can find it.

One of the stores had some decent looking oysters the other day, $12.99 a pound, prime rib was $6.99.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, we are lousy with it here. All fresh. Lobster was $5 a lb, directly from the fisherman... they do that at Christmas to make extra $$ by cutting out the middleman (there are 5 good sized ones in the chowder) total shrimp cost was only $10, total scallops cost was $20, and haddock was $10. The chowder pot is full!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Dang that sound good. You may laugh, but here for the most part we have Red Lobster and Long John Silver's for sea food resterants.:D

But I can sure tell you several places to get good steaks. A lot of small town bars have prime rib on Sat nite, 12-15 bucks gets you a 16 oz one, choice of tater, salad and a roll. Sundays are prime rib samwhiches for aroun 5-6 bucks while they last.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have seafood restaurants that are off the charts, but our steakhouses, the good ones, are qiute pricey, (but worth it, for that prime Alberta beef), for the most part. Some of our pubs do have specials, and serve a pretty good steak, but some are just shoe leather thrown on a grill. I am picky about my steak, so I tend to do it myself or hold out for a special occasion to visit a proper steak & chop house.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Even here in the city where things are higher priced in resterants than small towns, $20 will get you the same. I think the last time I got a 24 oz Porterhouse dinner it was a buck or so over $20. Now there are places you can pay more, but the food won't be any better, just a fancier place to eat it.;)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Yum! =) I can't wait for my BF's seafood chowder tomorrow night. We picked up a pound of fresh off the boat scallops last night. OMG! Succulent deliciousness!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Lobster in our neck of the woods right now is 22.99 a pound!! mother%^&$%!!

I bet your house smells so good right now. Wish I were there with some warm slippers on, a cuppa your best in one hand, and laughter all around.

In case I don't get back on here in the next 2 days, Merry Christmas to you and yours T. Hugs all around.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Yum! =) I can't wait for my BF's seafood chowder tomorrow night. We picked up a pound of fresh off the boat scallops last night. OMG! Succulent deliciousness!
I also hate you right now, but would also like to be in your kitchen, wearing warm slippers, drinking your wine, eating your scallops and laughing at Piper. And, the same goes to you - Merry Christmas to you and yours, and hugs all around. Even that nasty little Piper dog.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
My kitchen is your kitchen, K. You know that. :) When ARE you going to make a trip east and drink my wine, sit in my kitchen, and bake me something??

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Maybe this summer. Seriously. Could you handle visitors for a couple of days? I promise not to stay forever.... I'll bake anything you want, anything at all!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I will volunteer to taste test it for quality control. ;)

I miss fresh fish. I don't know if I ever told you all but my mum's family were all Newfoundland fisherman. My great grandfather owned several trawlers. Grew up on the boats when I was visiting them. My mum says I am definitely related to her father. Like him I could eat fish 3 meals a day 7 days a week and not get tired of it. I never knew him he died of leukemia when mum was pregnant with me.

I struck luck the other day. Was at a local grocery store they had lobsters already steamed for $6.99 each they were about 1 1/4 pounds. Bought 6 and came home and stripped them and froze the meat. Was wondering what to do with them. I think seafood chowder is going to be our New Years Eve meal. Though I will have to settle for frozen scallops, shrimp and cod. I can get fresh clams and mussels though they will be about $6 a pound.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Seafood chowder, mmmm, salivate, drool like a Lab -- sounds great!!!!

Over time, my taste has switched from medium rare roast beef and rare steak to seafood. Now, I L♥VE seafoods, far more than red meats.

I'm curious, Teresa, does your chowder have milk and potatoes in it? IIRC, M&P are present in most chowders.

With all those seafoods in it, that's the raw materials for making a Bouillibaisse, one of the royalty of all eating experiences. I haven't had that for over 15 years and the mention of all those ingredients makes me want to cook up a batch, freeze portions to use as treats for when I've been (IMO :)) especially good.

If you google Bouillibaisse, you'll find many recipes, among them this:

http://familystylefood.com/2009/08/julia-childs-bouillabaisse-recipe/

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lobster in our neck of the woods right now is 22.99 a pound!! mother%^&$%!!

I bet your house smells so good right now. Wish I were there with some warm slippers on, a cuppa your best in one hand, and laughter all around.

In case I don't get back on here in the next 2 days, Merry Christmas to you and yours T. Hugs all around.
Well that just sounds perfect to me, K. =)
merry Christmas to you and yours too, K! Hugs to you.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will volunteer to taste test it for quality control. ;)

I miss fresh fish. I don't know if I ever told you all but my mum's family were all Newfoundland fisherman. My great grandfather owned several trawlers. Grew up on the boats when I was visiting them. My mum says I am definitely related to her father. Like him I could eat fish 3 meals a day 7 days a week and not get tired of it. I never knew him he died of leukemia when mum was pregnant with me.

I struck luck the other day. Was at a local grocery store they had lobsters already steamed for $6.99 each they were about 1 1/4 pounds. Bought 6 and came home and stripped them and froze the meat. Was wondering what to do with them. I think seafood chowder is going to be our New Years Eve meal. Though I will have to settle for frozen scallops, shrimp and cod. I can get fresh clams and mussels though they will be about $6 a pound.
My Grampy (maternal) is(was) a Newfie, St Johns =) My Nan (maternal) from Cape Breton
... what a mix!

Enjoy your chowder. It's one of my most cherished and favourite family traditions that has in recent years happily fallen onto my shoulders. I love a house full... guitars out, kids playing, stiff drinks, a lit tree, and a huge vat of the best Nova Scotia seafood chowder simmering away. =)

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seafood chowder, mmmm, salivate, drool like a Lab -- sounds great!!!!

Over time, my taste has switched from medium rare roast beef and rare steak to seafood. Now, I L♥VE seafoods, far more than red meats.

I'm curious, Teresa, does your chowder have milk and potatoes in it? IIRC, M&P are present in most chowders.

With all those seafoods in it, that's the raw materials for making a Bouillibaisse, one of the royalty of all eating experiences. I haven't had that for over 15 years and the mention of all those ingredients makes me want to cook up a batch, freeze portions to use as treats for when I've been (IMO :)) especially good.

If you google Bouillibaisse, you'll find many recipes, among them this:

http://familystylefood.com/2009/08/julia-childs-bouillabaisse-recipe/

I only make chowder about twice a year. Sometimes one of those times is a lighter, bouilibaisse variety, sometimes a straight clam chowdwr, but my Christmas chowder is my family's recipe which includes lots of butter, heavy cream, potatoes, and the standard of plenty of fresh lobster in large chunks, big sea scallops, shrimp, haddock, and sometimes mussels as well. It is rich, creamy, decadent, and most definitely not light on calories, but it is a once a year experience, so I do not feel guilty about it at all =)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts