Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled into the parking lot this morning. Louie is staying with us this week while his Mom and Dad are off to Hawaii on their Honeymoon. He doesnt get to a dog park very often, buthas figured out what this parking lot is all about, so he is going nuts barking and jumping from front to back and front... while I am getting my gloves on and the car key into a pocket.

That is when I spot what looks like two dogs really into it. One is definitely attacking the other, and there is a woman running to get her dog. That is when I see the attacker is the Husky that went after HK, and the woman running is the owner of JJ, a black lab. Zoe's mom is standing there like she is somewhere between helpless and afraid to step in. I know it will be over before I can get out of the car and to them to help separate, but I saw enough. I got on the phone and called for the park cops, left my dogs in the car, and went to do my thing.

JJs owner had gotten there and broken it up. Zoe had tried to bite her in the process and had broken skin, through her glove. Zoe was now sitting next to JJ's owner, not her own owner, like a perfect angel.

I told Zoe's mom that I had called the cops and would appreciate it if she did not try to leave. Enough was enough and she had to keep Zoe out of the park, since she was obviously not going to muzzle her which would be a great solution for all.

Then she challenges me with, 'Who the hell put me in charge?' I told her no one, but when the cops got here, they were in charge. She said she was leaving. I ask her not to, and told her I already wrote down her license plate number, and but then the cops were there.

Arguing and shouting took place, and the cops told the woman that the issue would not have taken place if she had Zoe muzzled. The woman immediately responded that she would muzzle Zoe from now on. That is when I went high order. Related how this has happened before, many of us have asked her to muzzle Zoe, she claimed she was buying a muzzle, but she still does not muzzle the dog.

That is when, JJs owner finally said something. Taking her glove off she asked the woman, 'How many times will Zoe have to bite me before you actually follow through and muzzle her?' There was a puncture would, the one cop immediately took her leash and leashed up Zoe. Told Zoe's owner that She could go to the Park Office and find out what she had to do to get Zoe back, would have to give her park permit to the other officer before she left.

The woman that was bit, told the officer that she did not want Zoe to be put down. The bite was not that bad, she understood that it would not have happened if she had not tried to separate the dogs the way she had.

Here was this woman trying to take the blame away from Zoe and her owner, while the owner is basically denying responsibility. The cop told the victim, that she should see a Dr. to clean up the wound and document it. That Zoe's fate would be between Zoe's owner an the officials at the pound

Everybody feels bad for Zoe, her owner was still denying that she could have done anything to prevent it. But about a half dozen of us are now on alert to watch for Zoe and her mom. If they come back, the cops will be called before anything happens.

I am pissed that this had to happen. There is no reason for Zoe to be put down, she just needs to be muzzled when she is not contained on her own property, assuming there is some kind of fence at her home.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
That is such a sad story. I feel bad for Zoe too. Just because her owner can't follow the rules or take responsibility for her dog. It's the dog that suffers. If I owned a dog like that, the last place I'd be is at a dog park. I'd take it for walks in the woods, alone, where there's no chance of an encounter, with a muzzle on, just in case. It just proves she doesn't care too much about her dog.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
That sucks!! What an awful experience....but unfortunately, in my eyes, Zoe should be taken away and possibly put down. Her owner can't be trusted to take care of the problem and Zoe sounds like a vicious dog that can't be trusted either. Fine, you can muzzle her atthe dog park, but what about elsewhere? What happens if she gets loose at home outside and there are small dogs or children around?
It's not a chance I would want to take. I think it'd be best if the dog was surrendered. Zoe just can't be trusted and it sounds like a bad thing is just waiting for the right opportunity to happen.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Wow that women really has no clue, or just doesnt care, probably a little of both. I'm glad you were there, its sounds like the women who got bit wouldnt' of spoken up or called the park cops. Poor Zoe, wonder if there is a way for you to find out what happens Ed. It would be great if Zoe just found a new forever home. This women doesn't deserve to have a dog. The whole situation is just sad and really there is only one person responsible.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Ugh. That woman is a freaking IDIOT. I'd like to smack her upside the face. You guys gave her so many chances and she just threw them back in your faces. :mad:

I think you did the right thing. You warned her time after time and she didn't listen - now she has to really think about things.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Great job, Ed, you acted very responsibly.

I think Zoe should be removed from that woman's care and she doesn't deserve being owner of any pet other than an earthworm.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Wow that women really has no clue, or just doesnt care, probably a little of both. I'm glad you were there, its sounds like the women who got bit wouldnt' of spoken up or called the park cops. Poor Zoe, wonder if there is a way for you to find out what happens Ed. It would be great if Zoe just found a new forever home. This women doesn't deserve to have a dog. The whole situation is just sad and really there is only one person responsible.

Would you really try to place that dog in another home? To me that would be irresponsible also. This is a dog that just can't be trusted...at all. Around other animals, kids, people......I understand the woman being an idiot and all that, but the dog sounds too aggressive to be rehomed. It's an accident waiting to happen. If that dog ever got loose, (which none of us let happen on purpose) who knows what would happen.
I would not place that dog in another home...it's just too uncertain.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
I'm glad you got there in the right time Ed. Poor JJ :(. Some people just don't get it. I wish she would take her responsibility. Zoe clearly doesn't handle to be around other dogs I can't believe how that woman continue to take her dog to the park and endanger the other dogs. Make me afraid Zoe will get a small dog next time and it will end very bad :(.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Would you really try to place that dog in another home? To me that would be irresponsible also. This is a dog that just can't be trusted...at all. Around other animals, kids, people......I understand the woman being an idiot and all that, but the dog sounds too aggressive to be rehomed. It's an accident waiting to happen. If that dog ever got loose, (which none of us let happen on purpose) who knows what would happen.
I would not place that dog in another home...it's just too uncertain.
I guess I didn't think my response through, thanks for pointing that out. The only thing I would have to say is that Zoe has never shown people aggression at the park, the person who got bit was trying to break up the fight. So after thoroughly testing her - maybe it would be best to put her down, but maybe she would be fine in an adult only home- just not one that is an effwit, like her current owner- just a thought:eek:

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Yep bad bad owner could have been avoided, I hope that bite wound isnt too serious. BTW im also loving the fact you guys have PARK COPS!

·
Registered
717 Posts
It's unfortunate that it had to get to that point but you did the right thing. Some dogs are not DP material. We had a great female lab but she did not like most other dogs. I would never taken her to a dog park. She was great with people, though.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep bad bad owner could have been avoided, I hope that bite wound isnt too serious. BTW im also loving the fact you guys have PARK COPS!
This park is part of a multiple county park system. Three Rivers Park District. They do have fully trained, licensed, armed police officers, part of the County Police force, but special service designation. Same authority as any cop. We call 911, and when we give the location, the dispatcher will send one of these cops if they are available, otherwise, the closest police force is sent.

They are all good cops.

I have been involved in a series of telephone calls. We are finding out and trying to influence Zoe's future. I will post as soon as somethng gets settled. I am pretty sure that Zoe will not spend the night at the County kennel, nor be put down, nor go home with her current owner.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
What an idiot this women is. I sure hope she doesn't have children. Bad enough that she has a dog. I really feel for Zoe.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I guess I didn't think my response through, thanks for pointing that out. The only thing I would have to say is that Zoe has never shown people aggression at the park, the person who got bit was trying to break up the fight. So after thoroughly testing her - maybe it would be best to put her down, but maybe she would be fine in an adult only home- just not one that is an effwit, like her current owner- just a thought:eek:
No, I see your point too...I guess I just feel like if it was me, I wouldn't take the chance. That and I also think...what if Zoe lived next door to me? Or you? That puts your dog in danger if she ever were to escape or bolt out the door.....Would I want that dog living next to me and Moka and Java? No a chance in hell!!! Someone could be walking by with their little dog or even big dog and if she got the chance, I'm sure Zoe would go after them. It's just such a risk.
And no, she didn't attack people....only the people trying to protect their dogs??? Isn't that the same thing? She DID bite people, even if the people intervened to help their animals. Any one of us would do that, and chance getting mauled by this dog? What if it was a small child?
A dog like Zoe can never be trusted.
She puts any other dogs and people in the area in danger.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Ed knows Zoe better then I, so if he feels she might be able to be re-homed, I would trust that. That and the fact that she would be tested at the rescue. I know many dogs who go to adult only homes and live wonderful lifes with no more problems. Sorry I am just not in the "she must be put down camp". Again, I will not change anyones mind, and thats not what I want to do. I would just like all avenue checked before they put her down. Again its just my opionion- Di

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I have been involved in a series of telephone calls. We are finding out and trying to influence Zoe's future. I will post as soon as somethng gets settled. I am pretty sure that Zoe will not spend the night at the County kennel, nor be put down, nor go home with her current owner.
Great follow through!!

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Ed knows Zoe better then I, so if he feels she might be able to be re-homed, I would trust that. That and the fact that she would be tested at the rescue. I know many dogs who go to adult only homes and live wonderful lifes with no more problems. Sorry I am just not in the "she must be put down camp". Again, I will not change anyones mind, and thats not what I want to do. I would just like all avenue checked before they put her down. Again its just my opionion- Di
I agree with you Di.

From what Ed has said, it sounds to me that with a responsible owner, this dog could have a good life.

There is a Sheep dog in my neighborhood that is NOT dog friendly at all. The owner simply gives a warning to anyone approaching and stands to the side. Or she goes out of her way to avoid others with dogs. There is no way she would take it to the dog park, it is just common sense.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts