Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor was walking her mastiff on the main road and was stopped by a woman who has a 3 month old female brindle mastiff. She supposedly got it from someone who got the dog from a pet shop and didnt realize how big it was going to get and didnt want it anymore. Now this woman who has the dog wants to also get rid of it because she has a labrador and a rottweiler. My friend told me the whole story when she got back home. The lady asked how my friend's mastiff was with children...my friend told her that he is great with kids. The lady proceeded to tell my friend that if this mastiff she has even looks at her children wrong she will shoot it. I almost died. I asked my friend if she got the lady's information and she said no...the lady asked if my friend wanted the dog but my friend said she had jaxx who is still a puppy and wasnt ready for another dog. I was a little upset because i would have taken that dog. The lady said she would bring the dog over one day to see if my friend still wanted this puppy. I told my friend that if she ever saw this woman again to please get her information. It looks like hubby and i might be getting another dog. I'm upset that my friend didnt get this lady's information knowing that this lady would probably drop the dog off at the pound. And on long island not many people like the mastiff breed because of the size and drool. I cant even begin to tell you how many of my friends dont want to come to our home because of Rocco. But you know what i say to that? I didnt get Rocco to please my friends. We got Rocco because we loved him from the first second we saw him and couldnt bear the thought of him living in that abusive home with his old owners. I hate to think that that beautiful mastiff puppy might be dropped at a pound....and because she will get bigger than any dog people here are used to, that she might be put down.

This is why it angers me when people buy any kind of puppy without doing research first. I will be keeping my eye out for the lady to see if maybe i can get that dog from her.

Please pray that she comes around again and i can get that puppy from her.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tuckersmom said:
I hope fate intervenes and you can get the puppy. Fingers crossed. I love the Rocco pic below :-*
Thanks ;D He is growing like a been and still has another year to grow.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tuckersmom said:
chance72399 said:
tuckersmom said:
I hope fate intervenes and you can get the puppy. Fingers crossed. I love the Rocco pic below :-*
Thanks ;D He is growing like a been and still has another year to grow.
How big is he now? Weight?
He is 220lbs and filling out still. I am so determined to find this dog. I am angry that my friend didnt take her information down anyway. When i get home i'll be taking Rocco for a walk to see if i can get this lady to stop again. I told my husband when we were first going out. "Dont ever tell me i cant get a dog, or even rescue a dog" He wouldnt dare. I dont care what breed the dog is. I would do it for any dog.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Same thing with Cuj's original owners..reason for release "knocking over kids"..well duh they are 5 and 2 he is 180 lbs.....

Good thoughts you run into her Jaime!

Holy crap Rocco got big! He's a hunk

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
chance72399 said:
I cant even begin to tell you how many of my friends dont want to come to our home because of Rocco.
That's sad! I would love it if one of my friends had a Mastiff.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Derf said:
chance72399 said:
I cant even begin to tell you how many of my friends dont want to come to our home because of Rocco.
That's sad! I would love it if one of my friends had a Mastiff.
Same here!! We can't get one because our house is tiny but I would always be at a friend's house that had one.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Good luck! My little brother adopted a 2 yr old male mastiff last year. He says he's a Fila Mastiff.... not quite sure what the difference is, I just know Diesel is black and my brother just loves him. I still haven't gotten to meet Diesel, just have seen picts of him.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I really do hope you find the owner. People can be so stupid sometimes (didn't know how big it would get).

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Deneen: OMG Cujo got so big. He is a handsome boy. I havent seen pics of him in a while.

Rangermom said:
I really do hope you find the owner. People can be so stupid sometimes (didn't know how big it would get).
Thats what i dont get either. This lady's friend got rid of the dog for the same reason...then she decided to take the dog and says that she had no idea it was going to get that big? Umm....say wha? Seriously...people need to do research before getting an animal.

Thank you everyone for your good thoughts. I'll keep you all updated if i get a hold of this lady.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Rangermom said:
My thoughts exactly... I hope things work out and you can get the pup away from this woman.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Fila Mastiff
Were Mastiff's mixed with Bloodhounds..They are said to be incredible family dogs but not AT ALL good with strangers...like scarey not good. Where as an English Mastiff is known to iffy around strangers but has a way of getting control of the situation without using any type for "force"

Cuj went home Jaime about a month ago..my house is empty (literally lol) without him.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Good luck, Jaime--I hope you get him. What could be more fun than a mastiff? TWO mastiffs! Of course you'll need another job to pay for the food, but that's all workable. :)

Meanwhile . . . any new Chance and Rocco vids?

(BTW, on Filas: They can be very scary. One of the few breeds I personally would not ever have. I just can't afford the liability, and too many people come in and out of my house.)

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never heard of the filas mastiff breed. It sounds like it might be a cross breed.

I need a 2nd job just to feed Rocco, i'll need a 3rd if i get this puppy LOL. Either that or i'll have to try and sell my husband on craigslist.com again...last time i got no takers though ;)

No new videos yet. I'll have to take some this weekend. Its been a while since i had a video of them. :) That will be my goal this weekend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts