Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, fresh from serving 23 months in federal prison after his conviction on dog fighting charges, spoke Wednesday with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell about a possible return to the league.

According to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, no decision has been reached regarding Vick's possible future with the NFL, but other sources said late Thursday that Vick would be reinstated late next week -- in time to sign with a team and participate in training camp and the NFL preseason. Those same sources said that Vick would have to sit out a four-game suspension before being allowed to return to full-time status in the NFL.

Vick has also received a one-year, $1.5 million offer to play for the upstart United Football League's Orlando franchise, which is set to begin play in October.

There are many viewpoints on Vick's status -- many animal lovers and animal rights activists insist that despite Vick's completion of his federal sentence, that he should not be permitted to return to football. They say that the sentence was not long enough, and to allow him to play in the NFL would be tantamount to condoning his actions.

Others point to the length of his sentence, and compare it to the recent DUI and manslaughter conviction of Cleveland Browns receiver Dante Stallworth, who served a 24 days of a 30-day sentence for that death. Stallworth has been indefinitely suspended by the NFL in connection with his guilty plea in court.

A Bentley sedan driven by Stallworth struck and killed a 59-year-old pedestrian in Miami Beach in March 2009. Stallworth registered a 0.12 blood alcohol level when tested, above the Florida legal limit of 0.08.

Friday evening, we held a live chat on 11Alive.com to talk about the Michael Vick case, and whether or not you feel that Vick should be permitted to return to play in the NFL.

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=132974&catid=3

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
How pathetic that his athletic ability pardons his evilness. He should be banned from his sport permanently. Why would we ever want to watch this man play football again? I can't believe a team would have him. Sad commentary on our society. The dollar trumps all, apparently.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Dont get me wrong, I dont like the man, and dont excuse his actions, but I think anyone who is tried in court and does the time in jail assigned to them, should then be able to be given another chance.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Dont get me wrong, I dont like the man, and dont excuse his actions, but I think anyone who is tried in court and does the time in jail assigned to them, should then be able to be given another chance.
Absolutely.

Can't tell him he can't work after he is released.

We don't have to like him or support a team that signs him.....that's about it.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I agree. He should not be punished for life because of this.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I don't know. I guess I am particular with my forgivness, lol! I would watch a bank robber (that didn't kill anyone), car thief, or tax evader play ball after they served their time. I would not wish to watch a child abuser, animal abuser, murderer, etc. represent a national team. I guess it's like gundog said, they can play, I just don't have to support them or the team they are on.

I am very judgemental and sanctimonious in my hypocrisy.:D

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I don't know. I guess I am particular with my forgivness, lol! I would watch a bank robber (that didn't kill anyone), car thief, or tax evader play ball after they served their time. I would not wish to watch a child abuser, animal abuser, murderer, etc. represent a national team. I guess it's like gundog said, they can play, I just don't have to support them or the team they are on.

I am very judgemental and sanctimonious in my hypocrisy.:D
I agree with you. But since I don't watch it any way I guess they won't pay much attention if I boycott his team.

Besides, myself I think the only thing he's sorry for is that he got caught.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I agree with Glen he is sorry he got caught. I think any team that signs him is in for a very negative back-lash from their fans. You know there will be signs and protest everywhere that man plays. Why should the teams have to pay for the extra security so this man can work in a high profile position.

Should he be allowed to work and earn a living...yes
But I don't think he should be allowed by the fans to work in an industry that has so few positions and so many talented players that cannot make the cut just due to limited positions. He doesn't deserve a job where he makes hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. To be that much in the public eye in my opinion requires both talent and character and he showed his true values when he got into the illegal act of dog fighting. One of our schools choose to post the message "CHARACTER COUNTS" on their message sign for the summer. I think that says it all.

·
Registered
117 Posts
does not make any differance what job he can get. nobody forced him to be a criminal, if he has to work at mcdonalds frying hamburgers who's fault is that?

if a team takes him on and loses a lot of it's fan base then that is the way it is.

life goes on, except for the dogs he killed.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I agree with Glen he is sorry he got caught. I think any team that signs him is in for a very negative back-lash from their fans. You know there will be signs and protest everywhere that man plays. Why should the teams have to pay for the extra security so this man can work in a high profile position.

Should he be allowed to work and earn a living...yes
But I don't think he should be allowed by the fans to work in an industry that has so few positions and so many talented players that cannot make the cut just due to limited positions. He doesn't deserve a job where he makes hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. To be that much in the public eye in my opinion requires both talent and character and he showed his true values when he got into the illegal act of dog fighting. One of our schools choose to post the message "CHARACTER COUNTS" on their message sign for the summer. I think that says it all.
Agreed. Plus, let's not forget that, like it or not, ANY pulbic figure is, and should be, held to a higher standard than the rest of us. As a soprts figure. lots of kids look to these folks as a role model. Given his past, and that I believe he is sorry he got caught, not sorry for his behavior, he should not be in the limelight to be held up as a role model for kids.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
If a team takes him on, a boycott by even a part of their fans will go a long way to showing thatr not everyone approves of the low charector of some of the players in pro sports.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Agreed. Plus, let's not forget that, like it or not, ANY pulbic figure is, and should be, held to a higher standard than the rest of us. As a soprts figure. lots of kids look to these folks as a role model. Given his past, and that I believe he is sorry he got caught, not sorry for his behavior, he should not be in the limelight to be held up as a role model for kids.
While we would like them to be............ they are under no moral obligation to live up to standards other people put on them.

Just like regular folks.......some are good people and some are not.....I expect it's probably close to the same percentage.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Morals clauses should be added to all sports figure's contracts. After all, how many children look up to these figures and admire them, mimic them, so it's up to them to conduct themselves in the proper manner derserving of that respect. As parents, brothers sisters, aunts, uncles we all try to set good examples for kids. Yeah we make mistakes but something as cruel as dog fighting is inexcusable.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Morals clauses should be added to all sports figure's contracts. After all, how many children look up to these figures and admire them, mimic them, so it's up to them to conduct themselves in the proper manner derserving of that respect. As parents, brothers sisters, aunts, uncles we all try to set good examples for kids. Yeah we make mistakes but something as cruel as dog fighting is inexcusable.
Can we add Moral clauses to politician's contracts too?

Oh wait... we'll have no government left!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I think not allowing a convicted fellon to play professional sports would be good. The more reasons to lure people away from that life, the better. You wanna play pro? Think twice about what you're about to do..

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
If a team takes him on, a boycott by even a part of their fans will go a long way to showing thatr not everyone approves of the low charector of some of the players in pro sports.
+1000

Much like what happened w/OJ, let the market sort this out. If a team hires him and nobody comes to see him play, that team's going to drop him like a hot potato. Same w/a publisher that releases his book, which soon ends up at the bottom of a bargain barrel at Wal*Mart. Or his single, which languishes on iTunes. Etc. Etc. Etc.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Can we add Moral clauses to politician's contracts too?

Oh wait... we'll have no government left!
Good one, Lindsey!! :D :D

This morning's newspaper has a weekly column by Cokie Roberts in which she discussed the famous "C" Street house of Christian Fellowship in Washington, DC, used for home away from home lodging by several congressman who have also used it as a place of assignation and/or a cover for their own peccadillos and hypocrisy.

But, seriously, I think a double standard for morality would be unconstitutional in the US unless it was part of a previously agreed upon signed contract.

Otherwise, wouldn't it be a double standard?

But I'm no lawyer so am just guessing.

Nick?!?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts