Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we just watched This Is It last night - the movie made of the rehearsal footage for Michael Jackson's comeback tour that was cancelled due to his death 8 days before the tour was supposed to begin. Its kind of lingering with me today so bear with me if this is bit long.

The good

This would have been a remarkable concert. Just for the choreography alone. The movie starts out with quick comments by the dancers who have been hired to work the tour. They are all pretty much in tears of joy they can't believe their luck. The film then basically takes you thru the concert as it was envisioned number by number montaging several different rehearsal sessions together to give you a full picture of how each song was to be performed. New zombie footage for Thriller. MJ cut into an old Bogart film as a lead in to Smooth Criminal. The CGI recording of the dancers in military gear. The choreography, costumes...everything is incredible. He had a special costume made with about 200k swarovski crystals sewn into to it to reflect light like he was actually lit up.

And this 25 year old blond chick who was on the lead guitar - talented young woman! Holy crow could she play!

And they did some of the old choreography from the videos...that same Thriller dance I did in front of the mirror, the Beat It dance from the video...it was fun to watch it done...and then some cool new choreography added to it.

The Bad

Michael just looks sick. Sick sick sick. One of the outfits he wears to rehearsal includes this orange pair of pants that just emphasize how freakishly thin he is. I'm not even going near the facial surgeries and whatnot...he just looks like a heroin addict. And he's shaky and incoherent. There's a point where he's having an issue with the earpieces they gave him and he can't even come up with a coherent sentence to describe what his issue is.

And the hand holding and "Yes Sir"ing. Michael could tell you the sky is blue and the pianist would say "Yep, MJ. I hear you. Exactly. The sky is blue" and then the exact next thing out of MJ's mouth would be the sky is purple and the same guy would go "Right. Right. Purple. Exactly MJ. I'm with you." nodding his head the whole time. It was just...creepy.

And some of Michael's solo choreography just looked like...frenzied improvising. Same 10 or 12 moves he's been doing for 20 years just in different weird combinations. And yet all his crew and dancers were literally...literally on their knees applauding his brilliance.

Just confirms for me that the man was surrounded by all these people who claimed to love him, but no one really cared enough to get him the help he needed.

So sad.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
His kids were on the Grammys, accepting an award for him. Guess that whole non-exploitation thing has pretty much gone by the wayside......

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Just confirms for me that the man was surrounded by all these people who claimed to love him, but no one really cared enough to get him the help he needed.
So true. And he seemed unable to realize this, not seeking out someone who would be truthful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts