Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was fine last night, and there is nothing in our house that he could have cut it on? Do paw pads split on their own. This split is all the way across and a 1/4 inch deep, but no blood. He woke up with it this morning and can't walk on the hardwood floors or the sidewalk. He is ok on carpet and grass, but moves very slow. Should I get stitches for him or will it heal on it's own?

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Awww, poor Merlot! If it's not bleeding, then it's probably not too deep, and that doesn't look too bad to me. If their pads are extremely dry, they can get them without stepping on something, but more likely he somehow stepped on something sharp (sharp rock?).

This has happened to Theo several times, and this is what I do: First, I clean it extremely well by irrigating it with saline solution, and then I clean it further with something like alcohol or Hibiclens. The safest thing is to keep it open so that it can drain if necessary. I would try to keep him from walking on dirty surfaces for a couple days, just to give it a chance to heal. For walks, I usually wrap it with vet wrap, and then tape it up with water-resistant athletic tape. You can also use a little bootie if you can find them.

If it's not deep and you KNOW it's not infected, you can glue it shut with liquid bandage or nu-skin or even Krazy glue (trackers do this in search-and-rescue situations when dogs get cut on debris), but that's a bit risky because if it is infected, it won't be able to drain. Many people on this forum swear by EMT gel, but I've never used it.

In my experience they take about a week to heal up.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou! No, it is not infected. I cleaned it with peroxide. So, Super Glue or one of those liquid bandages will work and no stitches, right?

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
You can't really stitch a pad, at least according to my vet, unless there is extensive damage.

What I did the time Theo had a mild version was--AFTER EXTENSIVE CLEANING--I glued it shut with several layers of liquid bandage, and then protected it with a couple layers of super glue (I thought the super glue might hurt if applied directly). I then reapplied the superglue a couple times a day, as it wore down from walking. It worked fine, and I have done it on my own hands many times (I was a pianist and we all used super glue on split finger pads, etc., when I was in conservatory). But I'm a little nervous about recommending it, because there is the potential risk of driving infection deeper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts