Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I put in an app to a local rescue and got an email this morning about a black 2 year old lab named Smoke. Figured I'd post the relevant parts here and get people's thoughts...what should I look out for, does this guy seem city-life worthy, a good companion for the mellow yellow that is Ender?

"I brought him up on transport last Saturday - he was one of 40 dogs we got out last weekend - our largest transport ever! He had been scheduled to be euthanized last Wednesday along with his brother Black Jack but we got him out in the nick of time (Black is coming up this weekend). He's a big boy about 60 lbs but he's 60lbs of pure love. He's about 2 yrs old, he's calm and loving. Apparently the shelter told us he was shy - which he is and he probably got his confidence from his brother but he's really doing well with my two dogs and he's one of the easiest dogs I've ever walked!! He doesn't pull but does still need some more leash training as he's sort of all over the place and isn't quite getting the part about not walking in front of me (that's been fun) but he's getting there. He needs constant reassurance right now and has no problem coming over and placing his head on your knee so you can pet him but he's now understanding the 'routine' and doing beautifully. He goes into his crate rather easily (with treats) and will stay there with no problem. He cries a little bit initially but I merely clap my hands and he calms down. He also stays very close to his person so I think his owners did pay attention to him and did train him to 'come' but he probably was rarely on a leash.

The only 'problem' which to me isn't a problem that can't be overcome with a schedule is at feeding time. I'm sure when he was given up and found himself in the shelter he was absolutely devastated and probably became quite depressed and didn't eat or he wasn't given what he needed. He INHALES his food! I swear it's gone in about 5 seconds but what I always do with my foster dogs is I tether them to a door knob, feed my dogs first and then the foster. I don't want any problems at feeding time and I want the foster to understand his place in the pack so it has always worked out very well for me. I make him sit for treats and he's starting to take them without taking your hand with it. It's just getting him to understand that he will be fed twice a day and he doesn't have to worry about it. This usually takes a little time but is easily overcome."

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I can't read the email because any and all rescue stories break my heart in half. I hope and pray it works out for you though, Eric.

Will be looking for an update!! :)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I have always heard that when you adopt an adult dog, it should be a dog with a lower energy level than the one you currently have; so I would definitely look for that.

Sounds like he is used to a crate, and just needs a little leash work . . . so those sound good. I think he is worth meeting, and I would make sure that Ender can meet him too just to see how they interact.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, she's bringing him over on Sunday. I'll meet him, then introduce him to Ender, let him go in the house, etc. BTW, what is the sequence? Best way to introduce a new dog into the house? Do I distract Ender outside or something while Smoke checks the place out? What's the best way to do that?

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I agree with Bauers mum about the energy level..tbh he sounds great and just needs that security again with some training. And they say lesser confident dogs also need to live with a more confident dog to show them how to behave. Hope it goes well

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I hope and pray it works out for you though, Eric.
Oops, sorry, I forgot you don't "do" prayer. LOL Good thoughts.

As far as introducing, each time we brought someone new in, the new guy came into our house as the other one was already in. On the old guys territory. I dunno, it worked for us. :)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Good luck. Smoke sounds like a good match for Ender based on the description. I think with two adult dogs, I would try and arrange for meeting in a neutral setting. I took Tal to pick Barney up, and we were in the car together for 2 hours or so and Tal pouted all the way home. Barney was a puppy, so not sure if that would make a difference.

This is counter to human intuition, but one thing I learned is that when you are around the new dog, show them affection to let yours know they are ok.

Good luck, and can't wait to see pics!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Oh, that tethering first, feeding the other dogs and then him is a good idea.. i may use that when koda is out of her crate and feeding time rolls around!

As far as meeting, with koda we met on the street and walked both dogs .. one person holding koda's leash, me with tuck.. they pretty much ignored each other when walking which is a good sign.. they played a bit when in the yard, and then i walked them into the house afterward.. me first, then tuck, then koda.. after that, it was pretty easy.. koda sniffed around, tuck sniffed her, and they pretty much settled after that.

As far as energy level.. well, koda is 5 years younger than tuck.. so her level is higher than hers, but he lets her know when he's had enough and i'm fine with that.. if he doesn't, i do.

try not to be nervous, eric.. don't let the dogs read your emotions.. just be as relaxed as you can and let things fall into place.. there will be an adjustment period when everyone figures out the rules and their place in the pack.. once a routine is established and rules are in place, it will get easier.

Good luck.. i hope it all goes well!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I have always heard that when you adopt an adult dog, it should be a dog with a lower energy level than the one you currently have;
Really? I've never heard that. It's never been a problem for me.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I think Smoke sounds great! You've been given lots of good advice, just don't forget to let us all know how it goes!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I would introduce them first in neutral territory, see how they get along and then if things are OK then you take him to your house.

Even though it´s great you want to give a dog a second chance, I´d let Ender be the one to ultimately decide if he wants company, based on the previous thread about him not paying attention at all to other dogs.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I would introduce them first in neutral territory, see how they get along and then if things are OK then you take him to your house.

Even though it´s great you want to give a dog a second chance, I´d let Ender be the one to ultimately decide if he wants company, based on the previous thread about him not paying attention at all to other dogs.

I was going to suggest neutral territory to start, too.

You have a dog park or park near you, right? (I think I read that somewhere, but I might be crazy.. :p) I would first meet there, let them sniff each other, but be cautious since you know Smoke is shy. Then if things go well, maybe start outside your house (backyard, front yard, porch, etc).. and go from there.

He sounds like a pretty sound dog, but will obviously need some work and training.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I actually don't recommend a dog park if there are other dogs. ESPECIALLY if it says he is a timid dog, that might just throw him over the edge. PIck a quiet area.

Be aware of potential aggression issues even if he is timid so far. It might be non existant but I have gotten dogs from shelters that were said to be "Great with other dogs" but would growl at other dogs or worse.

It's hard to say, alot will depend on what was down in his previous home. Was he ever on leash? If he never left the yard and is a timid dog, walking may take some time and patience. I had a foster that was great until spring when bikers and roller bladers went by at high speed, then things went downhill when it came to walks!

Be aware he could bark alot (warn roomate about this) especially if you crate him. Maybe he won't cry or bark at all but...it's a possibility.

Again, feed seperately.

How does the adoption process work? Is it an application with a home visit or just 'you want the dog it's yours" kinda thing?

Again, the first week with a new dog can be hell. Even good dogs. Diarhea, not knowin gh the rules, being stressed (both the dog and the humans), lots of panting, hard to get them to rest (i.e. sleep for more than 2 minutes without pacing!)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The experts have given you lots of good advise here. I haven't ever brought a new dog in - we got both Abbey and Coco at the same time; but I want to first thank you for deciding to take a rescue dog and am also wishing you and Ender all good blessings - "Luxo" too. (Love the name!!) If you are calm with him you have a much better start at connecting with him and reassuring him that all will be well and he is "forever home". :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts