Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AKA the cane toad. I caught this ugly SOB in my laundry. These things are highly toxic to nearly everything that touches them including snakes, crocodiles and ......... dogs. :mad: Good job my 2 weren't around when I caught it. Within about 2 minutes of taking its mugshot, it was dead. :)

I think you guys have them in parts of the US too?

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ICK..what was he doing in your laundry????
It's 1am & raining here. This is when most of the frogs are active. I'm always catching green frogs & some of the smaller species in the house but this is the first time one of these has come in. Most of them get in through the gap in the garage door & into the house. I had the back door open for about 2 minutes. Must have been when it got in. :mad:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Awwww, you killed it? I love toads. OK OK, so I understand - he's toxic. :(

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awwww, you killed it? I love toads. OK OK, so I understand - he's toxic. :(
Yes I did. :) Sorry but if I have to choose between saving one of these, a snake or saving my dogs from them, the toad & the snake lose every time. :cool:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I know, I would do the same (or have my husband do the same is more like it!!).

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We had them in Florida, they were called buffo humongous, and the bastids are the size of a large dinner plate. Those excreted poison through their skin that would kill a small to medium dog and make a large one deathly ill. They were not afraid of anything!

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
We had them in Florida, they were called buffo humongous, and the bastids are the size of a large dinner plate. Those excreted poison through their skin that would kill a small to medium dog and make a large one deathly ill. They were not afraid of anything!
Thanks - add that to my list of reasons to not move to Florida. Flying roaches, giant poisonous toads, geezers in Cadillacs, too hot in summer - the list grows.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Thanks - add that to my list of reasons to not move to Florida. Flying roaches, giant poisonous toads, geezers in Cadillacs, too hot in summer - the list grows.
GIANT flying roaches that put on sunglasses when you turn on the lights and laugh at cans of raid. :eek:

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
GIANT flying roaches that put on sunglasses when you turn on the lights and laugh at cans of raid. :eek:
Yes and they chase you down the hallway and laugh when you jump on a chair (not that I ever did that).

On the scary critters in the South topic - there apparently are roving packs of giant AGGRESSIVE wild pigs in Georgia. Can anyone confirm that one? Saw this last week on Discovery.

Cross that state off my list too.

I may never again cross the Mason-Dixon.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
On the scary critters in the South topic - there apparently are roving packs of giant AGGRESSIVE wild pigs in Georgia. Can anyone confirm that one? Saw this last week on Discovery.
Consider that confirmed :) We just learned about them this week - they're the reason we can't get rid of a lot of pig diseases in the US too.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Add to that humidity so thick it makes you feel like you're trying to breathe while walking on the bottom of a swimming pool!

When you're sitting still, under a fan, in a bikini, and still sweating - that's stupid hot and humid! :(

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
G'day,

How'd he go? Golf Club-powered flight? Or flattened by a semi? :p

Cheers,

Pottsie
Neither. :D The best way to kill the little b'stards? Keep a spray bottle full of dettol. Spray that on their backs & they expire in about 3 minutes. If you don't want to waste about $8 for a bottle of dettol, go to Wollies or Safeway & get the generic equivalent for about $2.50 ;)

I keep promising to buy a golf club for the purpose but knowing me, I'd probably wack it through my neighbours windows. I don't think they'd be too amused. :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts