Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something the girls and I have been doing lately is crushing rocks. Just a hammer and some rocks... and we crush them.

we are easily entertained. *retard clap*

B

·
0 Posts
that sounds like fun but i am sorry- i don't like the "retard" clap comment. i am sure that you didn't mean any harm by it but i take offense to it. i am the mother of a disabled young adult and i find that as offensive as the "n" word or any other derogetory name. it is a hard road to go down when you are disabled, much harder than most people realize and these kind of comments are very hurtful.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Shanna, you and the girls need to watch Kids in the Hall. You could be spending your time crushing heads.

Also, I know what emoticon you speak of with *retard* clap, and it really isn't derogitory. I'm sure she didn't mean it that way at all , Boonesmom.

(plus, total kudos to you, I have a disabled younger brother, it's a tough road to travel, very, very tough)

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paddysmom said:
I just love these posts of yours, Shanners. May I call you "Shanners" by now? 8)
Of course you can. I don't know why you haven't by now.

As for the retard comment... I don't understand why in the world you would associate retard with disabled. That is SO OLD school. People don't called disabled people retards any more. If they do, you have to consider the highly uneducated source. My grandmother referred to my mentally disabled relative as "afflicted" and I just about died in laughter. My grandmother has her own afflictions. :laugh:

As for offending... by all means... HECK NO I didn't mean to offend.

What does inserting retard clap mean? It is referring to a particular emoticon that many here are familiar with. That is the name of the emoticon, retard clap.. which simulates a clap done by MANY people that are NOT mentally challenged. I do the clap myself in real life and never associate it with being mentally challenged. Maybe blonde! :laugh:

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TangerineFizz said:
Shanna, you and the girls need to watch Kids in the Hall. You could be spending your time crushing heads.

Also, I know what emoticon you speak of with *retard* clap, and it really isn't derogitory. I'm sure she didn't mean it that way at all , Boonesmom.

(plus, total kudos to you, I have a disabled younger brother, it's a tough road to travel, very, very tough)
Ha... I didn't even see your post.

See, here is one that knows the emoticon.

B

·
0 Posts
May I ask if you have a disabled child or disabled yourself? It is still used, the word "retard" as a deragatory comment. My son has been called that, along with other names. You are absolutely right that we should look at the level of intelligence when that word is used--need I say more ?

I just hope that your kids are never called a name that hurts and knocks them down. You have offended me and your reply has offended me even more. I would hope in this day and age, a little more understanding. But I guess that is why there are still problems in our world. Maybe if everyone would think before speaking, we could all get along a little better.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
boonesmom said:
May I ask if you have a disabled child or disabled yourself? It is still used, the word "retard" as a deragatory comment. My son has been called that, along with other names. You are absolutely right that we should look at the level of intelligence when that word is used--need I say more ?

I just hope that your kids are never called a name that hurts and knocks them down. You have offended me and your reply has offended me even more. I would hope in this day and age, a little more understanding. But I guess that is why there are still problems in our world. Maybe if everyone would think before speaking, we could all get along a little better.
As a matter of fact, I DO, have a child that IS challenged. http://www.aspergerssyndrome.org/
Do I KNOW what people can say... or how mean other kids can be? YES!
I am serious when I say that RETARD does not apply to your child or mine. It applies to normal people doing or saying moronic things. COME ON NOW!

Why is it when I say retard that you think of your own child? That sounds like YOU apply that to your child.... NOT ME.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Shanna doesn't have a mean or offensive bone in her body. She's one of the most caring, kind hearted, all around GOOD people I know. She is non-judgemental, loving of humanity, and generous. I believe she also knows that if you can't laugh at life and keep humor in the midst of hardship and struggle then your road will be much, much harder.

B

·
0 Posts
you need to re read your post--i am livid now. NO I AM NOT CALLING MY CHILD A RETARD. i am taking offense to your stupidity in using that word--especially if you have a disabled child. it is a deragatory word just as the "n" word is and you maybe want to quit using it.

how dare you say that about me--you don't even know me nor my son. i am so sorry that you feel you can say those type of things just because you have a disabled child. you of all people should know how hurtful that word can be. i can only hope you don't use that word around your children because that will continue the name calling to be done in future generations. i feel you should be ashamed of yourself for saying such a thing to me.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I, too, have a child that has had to deal with mental disabilities all her life. Retard as a word is what you make it. If you tell your child it has a negative meaning regarding their disabilities they will always feel objectified and targeted when they hear the word. And people use that word a lot. And without intending to personally offend you because you associate it with that meaning.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
boonesmom said:
you need to re read your post--i am livid now. NO I AM NOT CALLING MY CHILD A RETARD. i am taking offense to your stupidity in using that word--especially if you have a disabled child. it is a deragatory word just as the "n" word is and you maybe want to quit using it.

how dare you say that about me--you don't even know me nor my son. i am so sorry that you feel you can say those type of things just because you have a disabled child. you of all people should know how hurtful that word can be. i can only hope you don't use that word around your children because that will continue the name calling to be done in future generations. i feel you should be ashamed of yourself for saying such a thing to me.
I am sorry, but your whole anger at Shanna and her comments...is...well...retarded. Obviously she hit a nerve. It is just a freaking WORD. There are plenty of people that know other with disabilities on this board, or, like Shanna, have a child with a mild disability. Some people join the retard police bandwagon, others do not find offense. I advise if the word RETARD offends you so much, you click to the next post and move on.

As for crushing rocks...we did that as well, but only to geodes! We used to find a ton where I grew up.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Shanna, I'm offended you used the term retard clap. In the future please use the term "Nappy headed hoe clap"

Thanks,

Denny "the tard" Hoe

B

·
0 Posts
okay then i will start using the "n" word on here, and let's see what else can i come up with--i promise i will do it in a fun way and not to offend anyone. hope that is okay with y'all and sorry i am not picking on anyone in particular.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
This is none of my **** business, but I want to back up Joann (Boonesmom) on this one. *Retarded* is still used as a slur to describe people with a variety of mental and physical challenges, and is not an appropriate term to be used in jest.

To say that something is just a word, and therefore has no power, is ludicrous.

I'll go back to crushing my rocks now, but I wanted to put a word of support in for Joann (fwiw).

B

·
0 Posts
thanks for all the support guys.....i guess if someone gets offended on this forum-the more popular win out.

i was only saying that i was offended because my son grew up hearing people call him that ( and sorry, shanna, it wasn't me) and it is hurtful and in my book deragatory. say what you want-in my book, it is offensive.

thanks mom to j and a--at least you understand where i am coming from.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts