Just Labradors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo I have been thinking about adopting a labby.
I guess I just want to get some feed back on what it is like to own more than one lab. Time wise, financially etc.

Buck is 3 and a half years old now and has calmed down a lot *knock on wood* and it has got me thinking about getting another pup. While I had a lot of fun raising Buck from when he was 8 weeks I just don't feel like I now have enough of the support, time and conveniences I had/needed to raise and train a little puppy. Buck is my first dog ever and I dont want to rush out and adopt a second pup not fully understanding what it takes to have two.

I am sure some of you will ask why I want to get a second pup. Well honestly I feel like it would be fun and also sometimes I wonder if Buck would enjoy some canine company at home...I take him to day care once a week and we go to the dog park often (that's his exposure to other dogs) but the rest of the time he's just with me. We go on long walks and play everyday. Then I do my thing at home or I am out and about and he's right by me or he just goes off and lays down on his bed watching what I do or is fast asleep! I wonder if he is just bored or if he is simply content and chilling out.

Any who, I am just looking for some advice, thoughts, experiences anything that may help me decide on whether I should get a second lab or not.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Whatever you spend on Buck, multiply by two. I believe that it's much easier to bring up a second puppy because you have experience from the first, and also because Buck will help. The puppy takes cues from the established dog.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
After Rush I thought all labs were like her. hahaha my mellow yellow girl. Then we adopted Boo and she is what I would consider 'typical' for a lab. High energy, quite a character, a true brat, but I wouldn't trade her for the world. She is a great companion for Rush, as playmates, and company for each other but Rush still prefers to hang with mommy. Boo is a daddy's girl and prefers him so with us being two it works out well. You would just need to make sure they each get their individual time with you but I highly recommend two.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
A few times in our lives we've had three dogs because we didn't want somebody to ever be left without companionship while we were gone. That was tough. We're down to two now ...a three year old and a one year old and its been fantastic. If you're too tired to play there's always a doggie playmate.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I got Homer after I fostered my brother´s golden for 2 months and discovered Misha really enjoyed the company and playmate.

Yes: twice the poop and pee, twice the hair, vet costs, food, etc.

BUT:

They truly love each other and look after each other (believe it or not whenever one is in trouble the other reacts immediately). They play a lot together so they exercise without you. They both love me! I have never regreted getting the second dog. Homer was easier to train because he learned a lot from Misha.

The only thing that makes me feel bad about Misha is that since Homer´s elbow surgery we can no longer run (we only walk) and play fetch, since the boy can´t run. I can´t separate them because they are now velcroed...

I was seriously considering adding a third dog, but decided not to because these two love each other so much that I didn´t want to risk their great relation if the 3rd starts competing with either of them

If your dog likes other dogs, I´d definitely give it a try. It´s not that hard

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Consider rescuing an older (already housebroken, possibly already crate-trained) Lab. Both my boys were beyond the puppy stage when we got them (well, Champ will mentally always be a puppy ... ;) ) and we had just a slight learning curve with each one. Rescues have everything from young puppies to seniors, so I am sure you could find one Buck liked!

·
Registered
148 Posts
My two girls are 11 months apart and I can say that we would not have it any other way, they are best buddies. Rudder was an exceptional puppy, she never chewed a single thing in the house, etc. She was our first lab puppy and we thought all lab puppies were like this............than along came Scupper and we found out what a true typical lab was like! Everyday I am laughing over something they are doing - as I am typing this a comforter and two dog beds have been dragged by me and have made several laps around the dining room table!

Yes - twice the fur, medical bills, food, toys, cleaning, etc............but the love in return is sooo worth it :)

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
You're about 30 years too late. Had you spoken up sooner, I'm sure my parents would have gone for it.
*snort* LOL!!!!

Agree with the others... twice the expense and fur but also more than two-fold the amount of love. :) It's harder to spend one-on-one time with each (vs only having one) but I just make it a priority and it gets done. :) My boyz are truly the best of friends and play so well together. Ollie just adores his big brudder!! :D

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the input guys! sorry couldn't reply last night. Trying to get my internet connection sorted out at home...:mad:

I am definitely looking to adopt an older pup from a rescue. I saw one particular pup on the site of one of the Lab rescues near by. She is 5.5 years old and cutest darn thing :) She's got that spark in her eyes

again thank you all for your input. It definitely eased my mind some and gave me perspective. Now I have to make the decision I guess and take the plunge! :p

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have 3 Labs, ages 2, 3 and 4 and wouldnt have done it any differently.
They are such a tight pack, they really do adore each other. The difference from 1-3 financially was noticeable but not 1-2.

I think it's wonderful that youre going to adopt and save a Lab's life. Good for you and Go for it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.