Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rusty was a thrown-away dog. Initially someone must have loved him, but that someone moved away and left him to another someone who did not look out for him. At about the age of 2 years, Rusty ran away from his owner... running some 300 miles across state lines to get back to his home. Eventually he was found again with a rough chain around his neck and a tree branch entwined in it. He had lost a back tooth and was pitifully thin when he was picked up on his "return trip".

The best we can piece together is that Rusty traveled from Kansas, to the mid regions of Arkansas, then back to the state of Kansas, his home. He carried that piece of wood in his chain for hundreds of miles. He must have tried to gnaw the branch or chain off... his missing tooth a testament to what we (vets) ascribe to that period of time.

Once Rusty got back to the streets of Kansas, another woman found him and took him in. Kept him for a while and knew she could not keep up his care.

Woman's daughter took him in. Daughter kept him for four years. Then... nasty divorce. Ex-husband was going to send Rusty to the pound to be PTS, I said "NO WAY! I'll foster him and find the right home for him."

And so, and so, and so.... Rusty has been with us for nearly 6 years and he is an aging 12 year old. Our sweet, sweet dog.

Tra-la!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I do not think I have ever heard that story Nance. I am more than glad he found his way into your home.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I had never heard that story before. I must admit that I don't tend to think of little dogs being strong or brave but Rusty sure is. If I can ask a favor. Please give Rusty a hug and a scritch for me.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Oh, gosh! I guess I hadn't heard his story before. Now I am officially in love with him. What a lucky dog he is, to have found his way into your lives.

Thanks for sharing, Nance. :happy:

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
and if he could speak he would probably tell you that every mile of that journey was worth it for the time he has spent in heaven (with you)!

·
Registered
995 Posts
That's an incredible story. I think you and Rusty are lucky to have each other. He obviously has a lot of heart!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
:-* for Rusty. Sometimes we have to walk many paths to find our true destination. His were a little tougher to walk than others.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
awwwwwww
what a special set of circumstances brought him to you
lucky both of you :D

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
What a story! I don't think I'd heard it before either. What a special boy Rusty is (and he found a very special family with you and Tud and the gang).

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
The ability to travel such great distances to what is familiar amazes me. Thank goodness he was able to do so safely. How wonderful that he's found forever love with his forever family. Hugs to Rusty!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts