Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta rant. I walk my two guys together, on leash and we often go with my friend and her 80 pound greyhound. Today we're peacefully walking by the neighborhood park, when an a==h=l= on a bike has his dog on its leash, on the sidewalk. We walked our three LARGE dogs up the side of a small hill to avoid him and the (obviously not well trained) dog, but he lets the dog come up the hill towards us (expando-leash) and my boys think its playtime. They're trying to go say hello to the dog, when my feet start sliding out from under me, down the hill and I sit hard on my butt.

So now the guy's sitting there on his bike, still letting the dog sniff at my guys, while I'm lying on my back cursing. "are you all right?" I said "Get out of here!" (after a few choice words they bleep on network TV). Finally he rides away and I can get up and collect myself.

If it hadn'ta been a busy street I would have let my dogs go and he could have found out how fun it would be to have his dog drag him and his bike out into the street. BUT I didn't want to let my dogs get hurt.

Hope I can walk tomorrow. Thanks for letting me rant.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Rant away! I always ask if mine can be around another and I appreciate it when someone else with a dog asks me. Body language also SHOULD tell alot. I mean with you walking away that should havew been a dead giveaway that you didn't want to be bothered with him. **sigh**

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Rant away! I ALWAYS ask .... or tell my dogs are friendly ( submit)" before I let ANYONE greet another dog. I have almost never go to a dog park for just sjust reasons

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am not sure who I would be madder at... I detest the average person with their dog on a retractable type leash... But I would be really mad if my dog pulled me off my feet. I expect my dog to stay by myside till released, to stay when I say sit or down till I release them, and to come when called.
Hopefully you aren't sore tomorrow. And at least now you know what you need to work on with your dogs, because heavens knows there is going to be another clueless person out there in the world that doesn't know anything about dog etiquette,

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I walk three at a time and found that it's a good idea to keep a supply of treats in a bag for those times when there's a potential distraction. I put them in a sit while my hand is in the treat bag. When their attention is on a treat coming their way, nothing else matters to them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the treats would be a good idea. I'll admit mine can be exuberant. And I figured I'd get at least one post reminding me that if my dogs were better behaved it wouldn't have happened. I'm workin' on it...
In this particular incident, my friend and I THOUGHT we were pretty obvious that we were getting out of the dude's way so we could avoid the dog confrontation. I think I'd have even been o.k. if the ground hadn't been so soft that my feet slipped. (now that it's the next day and I can still move around, I guess it must've looked pretty funny from the back).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't worry the fellow on the bike will eventually meet a dog that might not be so nice to his. Not that I would want that or wish that on anyone, but if one lets their dog just approach random dogs without asking permission from the other owner at some point he might meet/greet an aggressive dog that will possibly attack or bite the his dog. He would then learn his lesson the hard way and no doubt he would most likely blame the other person. :rolleyes: I've heard about incidences like that happening before.

Anyhow, it is never ever any fun getting pulled down....been there done that. I agree being consistent with training to have your dog sit or leave it command might have helped but sometimes our feet just get out from under us before we have time to respond. :( Sandy is never allowed to pull on lead but I will admit sometimes he gets distracted and then I have to work to get him back focused and remind him of his proper manners.

You did the right thing in trying to not travel on the same path as the bike fella but sometimes people just don't read the social cues well unfortunately.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I walk three at a time and found that it's a good idea to keep a supply of treats in a bag for those times when there's a potential distraction. I put them in a sit while my hand is in the treat bag. When their attention is on a treat coming their way, nothing else matters to them.
x 1000!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts