Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theo had a seizure last night at 3:30 a.m. It was the worst yet--about 75 seconds of very violent convulsions, along with loss of bladder control. He was unconscious for a full ten minutes after they stopped. Then he did respond to his name, and we brought him around with peanut butter and honey, but he barked and growled at us for about a half-hour. After that we were able to clean him up a little bit, but he didn't want to be touched. Once we got him clean he was able to cuddle in the bed, and I worked at home until 10:30 so I could be close to him.

It's been about six months since the last one, unless his pain incident last week was created in his brain. I think we've gotten to the point where we're going to have to put him on meds.

Poor guy. He's so confused and only wants to cuddle once he fully comes to. He was heartbroken when I left him this morning. :(

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It's not scary for me anymore, because we've been through it a half-dozen times now. You just get totally focused on making him comfortable and helping him not hurt himself. This time I did get worried because it went on so long. I don't think it's scary for him when it's happening because he's unconscious. I think it's very frightening for him once he comes around.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Nathan, so sorry to read that. Poor Theo.
A nurse told me that after people have seizures, they are exhausted. I wonder if it is the same in animals.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Oh Nathan, I am so sorry to hear that. Poor Theo. Prayers and good thoughts that meds can stop the seizures.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have seizures and after I have a bad one I am completely exhausted and confused and really just want to sleep. It takes me awhile to come around and want to be touched. Poor Theo. I bet it is the same for him.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I'm very sorry Nathan. Many thoughts and prayers to you both.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Poor Theo. I'm glad you were able to stay with through the morning. CJ has had about 4 siezures in his 7 years, but never anything like what you described.

What kind of meds, do you know?

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Oh, Nathan. :( I hurt for Theo right now. For you, too.

Give the big guy a smooch for me, will ya?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that - hopefully some meds can help

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Thinking of you and Theo, Nathan.

Sending good thoughts across the Pacific.

Hope the meds will get this under control.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I'm late to this post, Nathan, obviously.

You have read enough of my posts about Flynn's seizures... it has been years since he's had the dramatic/traumatic loss of organ function you describe for Theo.

My heart goes out to you. You held him, you comforted him, and your own heart was racing... LIKE MAD! wasn't it.

How was he post-ictal? Legs pretty well secure? Eyes focused and bright?

It's a horrible experience during the event, but after the fact , when they recover, quite remarkable!

You have all my best thoughts on this, Nathan. We moms and dads of epi-dogs are just a bit out to sea for answers. :(

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I would start meds after that I think - the risk of brain damage is too high with that intenstity of seizure activity :(

poor you and poor poor him

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. Please get him on the meds. With every seizure, there is damage to the brain. Best of luck and hugs to Theo. Anne

1 - 20 of 69 Posts