Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading up on the web about martingale collars - and that they are basically a combination of a flat collar and check/choke chain.

Are they better to use with a labrador when you are walking them? I currently walk Fraser with a check/choke chain but find over the course of our walk the chain will slowly slip down to the base of his neck.

I've also head that if the the collar or chain is around the base of his neck that this is the strong part of a lab's neck and therefore any "pops" or "corrections" will not be as effective when compared to having the check chain higher up on the neck (behind the ears).

If anyone has had experience with a martingale collar and whether it's useful to use as a training or walking collar, or even for everyday use I'd love to hear about it.

Fraser is usually very good on his walk though, he is able to heel by my side if I give the command and most times he is on a loose lead. My main concern is only in regards to finding a collar that will not slip down his neck and possibly find a collar that is more suited to a labrador.

Regards, Shaun (Sticks1977) :)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
You can fit either a choke or a martingale to ride at the top of their neck. I personally prefer a martingale, if for no other reason than it "cannot" (if fitted properly) choke a dog to death (literally). It sounds like you need a slightly smaller choke chain on your dog.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I use the all nylon martingale, but just because the dog's head can't slip out of it like it can from a regular collar. I use them as their every day collars. I walk the young dogs on pinch collars or a choke chain.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I use martingales because Cinnamon figured out how to pull her head out of a regular collar. I also like martingales because I can get them custom made and I am a collarholic. I think Cinnamon must have at least 30 collars.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have been using a prong collar on BJ. In normal situations he walks beautifully but when we are going to the dog park and I have all four dogs, if he decides to pull (along with the already pulling beagles) I am in serious danger of losing my footing. My friend gave me a martingale collar that was too big for her bassets and I have used it the last couple times we have gone to the park - he definately pulls more with the martingale. I do remove the prong collar the minute we are inside the gate. The martingale I have left on and it does make it easier to grab him if necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts