Just Labradors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which collar you recommend?

Martingale Collar or the Side–Release Buckle Collar?

I'm getting one for Cassie and one for her black lab friend. Both of them personalised with their names and our phone numbers.

I have measured Cassies neck and it's 16" but she's still growing so I'm ordering the Large one which is 1"W, 17"-20" neck size.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I think it is a personal choice or if your dog flips its head out the martingale is good. Not sure what is the minimum age for them to wear them.
If her neck is 16 and you have a 17 it may be time before she fills it out. To give you an idea of size. Erns is 22. Tessa is slightly bigger. Gemma the border collie is 14inches.

I make both and my dogs wear the flat collar.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I always thought that martingales were more for walking your dog, and not a collar to keep on all the time. Maybe I'm wrong....... I use a buckle collar on mine because they need "plastic collars" because they are wet alot, the nylon ones stay damp and stink. I do have some quick release collars, but have never really liked them.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
martingales are a working-training collar. I love them for walks and training. I do not leave them on teh dog otherwise (they are removed after a walk or training). They should not be worn by a dog when they are wrestling and chasing other dogs (playing) nor in the crate. For general use collar I like the clip ones (for safety reasons, easy to clip off). no collar in the crate.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i will order one Side–Release Buckle Collar for all time use (except of course in the crate) and one Martingale Collar for walks.

thanx guys.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use the Martingales and leave them one. When we are going for a walk, I move it up and shorten it for better control. When we get home I loosen it back up so that it doesn't pinch even when pulled. They have had them for about a month and it is getting to the point where I do not need to tighten it as much for walks, just enough to keep them from slipping out if they lag behind...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My vet suggested me to get a harness instead of a collar. But I'm getting one with her name and my number to wear it when she is out of the house. I can put the harness on and also leave the collar on her neck during walks.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
because of the pain caused when she pulls. She doesn't pull much but still...

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Pain for you or her? lol ;)

I would recommend instead of trying to fix it with a "tool" (being the harness) that you work on the pulling with training. Don't expect with a harness she will not still pull, you need to get to the root of the issue & address it.

Diesel was a puller, I opted for a harness & it did not fix the problem. In addition, and this was with Diesel - I know others use harnesses & this may never happen - but because I didn't address the pulling and just relied on the harness to rein him in, a nerve in his neck (or back, was never determined where exactly) started to pinch & he started having leg tremors. The vet was the one to tell me to stop using the harness, sure enough the tremors stopped after a short while. We have since worked through his pulling & he can now use a flat collar (like the side buckle on you are getting).

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx for the information Diesel_Dawg. We are already working on pull and she's doing great. Except some times when she gets a strong smell and tries to follow it. But 95% of the time she walks next to me calm.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those are pretty cool collars! :) but I'm getting mine from Orvis because I will personalize it.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I have all types of collars for my dogs, but the martingales are usually used for either training purposes or for dogs that tend to slip out of their collars. If your dog pulls on the leash with a properly fitted martingale, it will tighten around the dog's neck.

The normal collars I use are flat buckle collars with a collar tag (it doesn't dangle, but actually sits ON the collar). When we are at events, I usually put a martingale on Kolby as he can get extremely excited and has slipped his collar before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts