Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take ripe (even over-ripe) tastey tomatos and cut into bite size pieces (about half the size of a marshmallow) into a large bowl. (I buy those that are grown hydroponically locally until either my home grown tomatos or local farmers' produce is available.)

Sprinkle cut tomatos liberally with chopped Basil leaves (dried quality Basil is good BUT fresh chopped Basil leaves are divine).

Drizzle good quality olive oil over the mixture and stir to distribute oil and basil uniformly throughout. (I use Costco's Kirkland.)

If desired (and I ALWAYS do) also liberally drizzle a good quality Italian Balsamic vinegar over the mixture and stir to distribute throughout. (I use Costco's Kirkland.)

Let stand covered at room temperature, stirring approximately every 30-60 minutes.

Serve after 3-4 hours.

Any portions remaining (highly unlikely) can be refrigerated as a leftover.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
MMMMmmmmm yummy!! Now just throw in a little fresh mozzarella and I'll be in heaven!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few days ago, 3 tomatos ripened at the same time on one of my 3 potted plants, good size (about = baseballs). They're Jetstar variety, a very early producer but can't say I'm that fond of the texture (kind of mealy) or flavor (not much zing, kind of bland).

But I cut them up and minced some fresh Basil leaves from a plant sharing one of the pots.

OMG!!

The Balsamic vinegar, minced fresh Basil leaves, & olive oil removed any and all disappointment in the Jetstar's flavor.

I wish I had several more cups made to eat right now.

Those of you who belong to Costco, if you've not already tried it, get a 1 liter (square, tall) bottle of their Kirkland Balsamic vinegar. Heavenly!!! :eek: :D

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Here's another variation of the same salad base.

So from where you left off with the tomatoes, basil, and dressing Bob, add some sliced cuccumbers or zuchini, a little garlic, some slivered red onions and some bocconcini. Same marinating time. Amazing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts