Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I hope he doesn't end up like that guy who decided to move to Alaska and live among the grizzly bears. I believe he ended up primarily as bear poop.

I'm guessing wolf boy is single.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
No,he actually very recently found a mate (LOL). They interviewed both on 20/20 last week. They howl to each other ::)

And yes, they mentioned the bear guy, too.

I don't get that channel, but asked my Mom to Tivo it for me.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
the guy looks like my uncle. he moved to alaska about 2 years ago and no one hears from him much. maybe he is the wolf guy. :D it certainly wouldn't shock anyone in my extremely outdoorsy family. i think he's more apt to talk to turkeys or squirrel then wolves.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
twitch said:
I give him a week before he gets eaten.
I predicted that the Grizzly Man was going to get eaten, but I was a few years off. I'm going to watch though, because I love anything strange.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I hope he doesn't end up like that guy who decided to move to Alaska and live among the grizzly bears. I believe he ended up primarily as bear poop.

I'm guessing wolf boy is single.
LOL! That's exactly what I thought when I saw the commercial for this show. I hope he didn't name any of the wolves Mr. Chocolate. ;D

C

·
0 Posts
Has anybody read the book 'Never Cry Wolf' by Farley Mowat? It is a true story, about Mowat who went to study artic wolves throug government employment, the government says the wolves are bloodthirsty killers who are slaughtering the Caribou. Turns out the wolves aren't killing the wolves to extinction, it is the trappers. Mowat becomes attached to the wolf family he is studying.
Anyway, it is a good book, funny and it really opened my eyes to the wolves. You should check the book out :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've read up on wolves a lot and I have read, "Never Cry Wolf." A great book! Wolves are not the mean and nasty creatures that people think they are. They have a social hexarchy that parallels ours and in fact there have been much speculation that if man hadn't been developed, wolves would be the apex creature on earth.

They have a strong family unit, the pack cares for the young, they will adapt to many different changes. One case is when aerial shootings were allowed, wolves realized what the planes were for and somehow, even a wolf who had never been exposed to airplanes would run and hide in the trees to avoid being shot. When the shootings were outlawed, the reverse happened and now wolves that have never seen planes will run happily underneath them without fear.

The few cases of wolves attacking humans are usually due to crossbred wolves, either with dogs or coyotes. Wolves prefer to leave humans alone and live life away from human contact.

When I was 14 years old, I had the rare chance to see a pack of wolves running down the side of a highway just after the snow had stopped falling. It was breathtaking, the pack was a fairly large pack of about 15-20 wolves and they were beautiful. I was hooked on them from that moment on.

I think that the guy has some good ideas. I don't think that he could live with wild wolves like he wants to, there are too many obstacles such as how would he participate in a hunt, or eat the hunt, etc. The wolf sounding to keep wolves in their territory would work but they would probably need to set up marking posts and spray them. It is a known fact that wolves try to avoid interloping in territories that belong to other packs.

Many people have done what this guy is doing and they have lived through it. I'm not saying that it is the wisest thing in the world to do but wolves are not the monsters culture has depicted them as for centuries. I have always felt that our fear of wolves comes from a subconscious knowledge that they are like us to some point.

Maybe I should write a thesis about it.

Ok, there is my little rambling. Can you tell I love wolves? VBG

C

·
0 Posts
After reading Never Cry Wolf, I have a new found respect for wolves. I love wolves as well ;D

canadianlablover said:
I've read up on wolves a lot and I have read, "Never Cry Wolf." A great book! Wolves are not the mean and nasty creatures that people think they are. They have a social hexarchy that parallels ours and in fact there have been much speculation that if man hadn't been developed, wolves would be the apex creature on earth.

They have a strong family unit, the pack cares for the young, they will adapt to many different changes. One case is when aerial shootings were allowed, wolves realized what the planes were for and somehow, even a wolf who had never been exposed to airplanes would run and hide in the trees to avoid being shot. When the shootings were outlawed, the reverse happened and now wolves that have never seen planes will run happily underneath them without fear.

The few cases of wolves attacking humans are usually due to crossbred wolves, either with dogs or coyotes. Wolves prefer to leave humans alone and live life away from human contact.

When I was 14 years old, I had the rare chance to see a pack of wolves running down the side of a highway just after the snow had stopped falling. It was breathtaking, the pack was a fairly large pack of about 15-20 wolves and they were beautiful. I was hooked on them from that moment on.

I think that the guy has some good ideas. I don't think that he could live with wild wolves like he wants to, there are too many obstacles such as how would he participate in a hunt, or eat the hunt, etc. The wolf sounding to keep wolves in their territory would work but they would probably need to set up marking posts and spray them. It is a known fact that wolves try to avoid interloping in territories that belong to other packs.

Many people have done what this guy is doing and they have lived through it. I'm not saying that it is the wisest thing in the world to do but wolves are not the monsters culture has depicted them as for centuries. I have always felt that our fear of wolves comes from a subconscious knowledge that they are like us to some point.

I enjoyed your little rambling ;) :)

·
0 Posts
chocco_23 said:
After reading Never Cry Wolf, I have a new found respect for wolves. I love wolves as well ;D

canadianlablover said:

I enjoyed your little rambling ;) :)
Me too!! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts