Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GERMAN shepherds make way - the maltese terrier is now Australia's most popular pooch.

Petite pooches are the order of the day as people move from the traditional quarter-acre block to flats and units, and pets migrate from the backyard to the living room.

Four in five mutts are now described by their owners as small to medium, according to the latest data.

The Maltese terrier - including Maltese terrier-crosses - is our most popular breed of dog, figures collated by the Petcare Information and Advisory Service show.

The German shepherd, which topped the ranks in the mid-1990s, has slipped to 10th position.

Susie Willis, a consultant with the Petcare Information and Advisory Service, said the number of "oodles", or poodle crosses, was also booming.

"The popularity of smaller dogs is probably due, in part, to the fact that dogs are now spending more time indoors and being treated as members of the family," she said.

TOP DOGS
1. Maltese Terrier
2. Kelpie
3. Border collie
4. Labrador
5. Fox terrier

Maltese terrier named Australia's top dog | News.com.au

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Not in my house!! :twitch::scared:
:biggrin1:

I was watching an interesting program last night about a couple house hunting in Brisbane, Australia. They had been living in England - he was British and she was Aussie. They were moving back to be closer to her family. Some of the homes they looked at were amazing and had spectacular views.

Funny thing was the look on the guys face when his wife suggested they move her mother in!! :fear:

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
It's just a Maltese, I didn't think it was part of the terrier family.

Problem I have with them, is everyone I know who has one they are poorly bred. Plus they can be such high maintenance - lots of grooming, finicky eaters, dog aggressive or some like my mothers dogs - a bit 'simple minded' lol.

I have yet to meet a well bred Maltese or Maltese cross (I think the Maltese cross mini poodle is the worst combination!)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Oh -- and all the ones I know have really bad teeth... Small jaws & picky eaters make for expensive dental hygiene!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
yeah just a Maltese. They are likely to have more of a spaniel history but it could never be decided so they call them just Maltese.
That said I think it is very interesting this is the top dog. They are considered "rare" still in the eyes of some breeders here

1 - 9 of 9 Posts