Just Labradors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any experience with this?

MY 9 yr old was diagnosed and had toe amputated. Appt with Oncologist this week for possible vaccine (chemo). Chest and lymph nodes were clear and they got clean margins on the toe.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. It seems very positive that they got clean margins. Could he/she possibly get to skip the chemo because of that? Or no?

We haven't had a melanoma, but Angus had a mast cell tumor removed, which is another kind of skin cancer. His margins were clear and it was diagnosed to be very slow-growing, so they felt OK about surgery only. Was your diagnosis more aggressive?

Hope all goes well for you and your Lab.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hi Thomas. I'm sorry to hear this. My chocolate boy was diagnosed with malignant melanoma July when he also got his toe amputated. The vet told us all was clear and that they got it all out. We changed to raw food and started neoplasene. He was doing pretty well and it wasn't metastasizing but beg of Sept he started breathing heavy and found that it got to his lungs. He passed Sept 25 of last year.
I just think it was caught too late. I heard the vaccine works very well for this cancer.
My prayers are with your pup
Let me know what the ongologist says.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the well wishes.

Had the first shot yesterday.

As all cancer doc, they speak in percentages. Without vaccine an average of approx 400 days. With vaccine, 750 days average. That means 1/2 the dogs live less than those days and 1/2 live more. After pressing her some she estimated 2-3 years. But cancer is a strange disease. She actually came into the room and sat down on the floor with the dog and talked to me about an hour. Then gave me a tour of the facility. Of course nothings free!

We get a total of 4 doses administered every two weeks. Chest x rays every 6 months.

He's 9 yrs old now and in good shape (72 lbs). He's a Hunt Test and duck dog so he runs and swims about a mile a day. I will be happy with 2-3 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.