Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although we've made some progress with Mocha and Aubrey it's not going to be enough. We are going to have to rehome Mocha. It's tearing me up but I can't take the chance of Aubrey getting hurt. Mocha has improved and I was really hopefully we could make it work but she's still so anxious and just not happy like she used to be and that makes me feel terrible. She's been much better about letting us walk around with her and everything the main issue now is her anxiety and barking and she will start to go after Zeus (sounds like a dog fight but no one is getting bit) when she gets really worked up. I'm terrified that Aubrey will be in the middle of it one of these days now that she's wanting to be on the floor most of the time and starting to try to walk around. We've been working with our vet and the trainers for months now the medications are doing very little for her anxiety though and unless we can break that the behavior training only works when she's not really anxious.

She did really well at my parents I wish they could take her but they just are not ready for another full time dog and I respect that. I really think she would do great in a house that didn't have young children though she's been ok with older kids that have been at our house after the initial excitement wears off. She gets along with most dogs although she doesn't really play with them all that much. She would do great at some type of Rally or obedience or tracking I beleive I've just never had the time to try to compete. She's been through a lot of obedience classes though and is spot on when she's not so anxious.

We're trying to find a rescue that will help us place her. We have been in contact with Central Indiana Lab Rescue they are supposed to be having someone come for a home evaluation hopefully soon. If anyone here knows someone that might be willing to give her a good home please let me know. She's got a lot of energy but she's also a total love bug and loves hugs and kisses and a good belly rub. I'm crying already but it has to be.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh Barb. Crying along with you. :(
I know you did everything humanly possible for her. Prayers that you will find the perfect home for her. Cross post in O&E and the rescue sections.

:(

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Has she ever been around cats? The only possibility I can think of for her is a home with cats, so that would be critical. I forget where you're based, but a home down here (Houston) might not be the practical thing...

I am SO sorry you are going through this, I understand how much it breaks your heart. I hope something works out and comes through for you and her.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried to contact KY lab rescue a few times their voice mail box is full and they haven't responded to my email. If CILR isn't able to help I'll keep trying them.

I had a cat when I got Mocha she did fine with her but she liked to play with her & the cat mostly just stayed out of her way. It's been 4 years or so since she's really been close to one though. We're in Louisville, KY so that would be a haul too although I wouldn't mind visiting TX

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I'm sorry. It sounds like a different situation would be best for her - you sure did try to make it work out!

I bet she would be less anxious and happier as an only dog in a home with no children - and maybe one where she had some work to do. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I'll ask the person I'm thinking of about taking in another dog - she's got one rescue lab and a cat, and she'd been thinking about "adding to the family" a while ago. But she just got a new house and started a new job, so I don't know if she's put that on hold... And unfortunately, with two labs and four cats in our townhouse, we're full. Another friend runs a doggie daycare here in town, I'll ask her if she's got ideas. I know that STLRR (lab rescue here in Houston that I volunteer for) is stretched so thin for boarding and foster space that we're only pulling shelter dogs at the moment, and not as many as we'd like to be able to save... I'll keep thinking about other possibilities as well, but I don't know if I'll really be that much help, sorry.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I'm very sorry for you Barb. I know you have tried really hard to prevent this from happening, but I understand you have to look out for Aubrey's well being first. Hopefully, a nice, loving home will be found near you, so you can visit Mocha sometimes. I know how dear to your heart she is. Good luck.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
The fact that you have tried so hard, and worked with her so much (in the midst of having a new baby) is commendable. Good luck, but I am sure she will find a home that meets all of your needs and makes her happy and relaxed again.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I'm sorry everything you have tried hasn't fixed the problem. You certainly have tried to make it work. Hoping you hear something soon about a new home for Mocha.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I am sorry to hear this. It's obvious you tried hard to make it work. I hope you find a good home for Mocha and that you both (Mocha and you) end up in really good situations.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I just hope you people are this nice the next time a new person shows up saying they have to give up their dog due to the baby.

I believe it was last year when a member had to give up their Lab due to a baby(or some other insane reason), I am pretty sure it was the person that had the band in the stoumach to lose weight, can not remember her name. Most of the members on this board reamed her a new *******!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts