Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has it, who doesnt? I know its been discussed before but Im to lazy to go and look for it.

I was going to get them done, well Bogey was once, and I never did it again. But now that I actually saw one Im thinking about it again.

Thoughts? We do use frontline plus. I normally wait 6 weeks to reapply, but now I might do it in 4.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Mick used to get it. We spent a lot of time in the woods when we lived at the camp, so I figured it was for the best. I've decided not to get it for Caleb, tho. We don't have the tick problem here that we had at the camp. I make sure to do a tick check anytime we've been out in the woods, just like we do with us.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I've been treated twice and one of my dogs once. There have been issues with the Lyme vaccine and I personally think it's easier to treat if you suspect the dog has Lyme than deal with the problems with the vaccine.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
I've been treated twice and one of my dogs once. There have been issues with the Lyme vaccine and I personally think it's easier to treat if you suspect the dog has Lyme than deal with the problems with the vaccine.
That, plus, once the dog is vaccinated, it will always test positive for Lyme, wether it has it or not (at least that's my understanding). Which then means possible needless treatment.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
The first vet HK had pushed everything. Basically do it their way or find another vet. I honestly felt they were not protecting the dogs as much as inflating their wallets. This was one reason we did find another vet. The new one offered Lyme vaccination but advised against it, telling me, like Labby said, that the treatment if she got Lyme Disease has less risk than the vaccine.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I did not get it for Molly & Abby. Even though we do runt hunt tests & SU hunts with them. Our vet will give it if you request it but they do not routinely give it & prefer not to. Same reason....they dogs will test positive even if they don't have the disease. We use frontline Plus & always do tick checks after they have been out. We also have them tested once a year.

Our last lab, Shadow, was vaccinated. I doubt that she developed leukemia from it, but the less I put into their bodies, the better I feel.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, that makes perfect sense. Thank you guys! I think Im going to hold off on that one and just stick with my frontline.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts