Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a pea-sized shape lump has grown into a large marble, the vet is fairly sure its cancerous, but like the lump they removed last summer on his toe which never came back. He'll be 12 in June, is severely arthritic, and is maxed out on his pain meds (we almost had to put him to sleep twice last year)....Dangit, I just wasnt going to put this boy through any more surgeries, but I'm thinking we got an extra year of life by removing part of his toe that maybe we'll get another with this one by his armpit? This boy is my sunshine, my heart dog and without him I wont even know how to function. I'm thinking I'll go ahead with the surgery and hope his recovery time will be quick. What are your opinions?

Oh and to top it off...Jobe has a pea-sized lump on his front shin that I dont think is a fatty tumor (this boy has not a one on him)...WTH, they are trying to scare the poop outta me. :yell:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
There is a new drug on the market from Pfizer called Palladia which has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of cancer in dogs. It may be an option to surgery. Good luck with whatever choice you make. These types of decisions are not easy ones to make.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
^^
Yep, more hugs from me too! And good thoughts for Indy!

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Poor Indy, so very sorry to hear this. he really is your wonder dog though. I am thinking of you both. Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Difficult decision ! Even anaesthesia has it's risks especially in an older pup ! Good luck with whatever you decide
With the vet, the first thing she said was that he is in remarkably great health, albeit arthritic, but his heart, lungs, and mind are so much younger than his frame so to speak. I'm wondering if a local would work, I'll have to discuss this more with her (Jobe has his appt next week)...

He is my wonder dog... he has more heart and soul than anyone, 4-legged or 2-legged combined, and I've never seen such a will to enjoy life. Him and I have an agreement, I told him he HAS TO give me 20 years...the old man has 8 more to go!

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
I know exactly how you feel sweetie. (((HUGS)))) Good thoughts for sweet sweet Indy. You know what's best for him. Those stupid lumps, why do they exist?!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
That's very difficult... I don't know if they'd be able to do it with local anesthesia because they want to make sure to get good clearances all the way around.

I'm always worried about the older guys with anesthesia, but as long as there is good bloodwork and good pre-op EKG results, it makes me feel a whole lot better about it.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
it is good to hear the vet was positive about his general health. How soon would they look to do the op? I will you both in my thoughts.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I'm sorry. These decisions aren't easy but it sounds like you know what you want to do, and you're the one who knows Indy best. If you think he can handle the surgery, by all means go for it. If the lump is where Toby's was (just behind the "armpit"), the incision is in an easy place to heal without much pain or difficulty and there's lots of skin for good wide margins.

Good thoughts heading your way for both your pups.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I know how difficult these decisions are. Maybe the vet can give a lighter anesthesia. Prayers for Indy. (((((HUGS)))))

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sorry. These decisions aren't easy but it sounds like you know what you want to do, and you're the one who knows Indy best. If you think he can handle the surgery, by all means go for it. If the lump is where Toby's was (just behind the "armpit"), the incision is in an easy place to heal without much pain or difficulty and there's lots of skin for good wide margins.

Good thoughts heading your way for both your pups.
That is exactly where it is! They said the hardest part of the operation was how to wrap it because the wrap wants to slide down the leg, so she will probably have to bolster across the shoulder to hold it up? Its not he will even be able to reach it to lick it.

We can have the surgery done anytime, but she said if I wanted to wait to see if the lump got any bigger I could (within reason of course). Thanks for all the kind words and support. Dang Lumps!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts