Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday (sunday) Keith found a lump on Avery's neck.... I'm freaking out. He's only 8 months and I'm praying that it's not cancer, or a tumor. What else could it be!? I made an appointment with the Vet today. I'm biting my nails about this and cried yesterday. He's my little baby and I just want him to be ok. Does anyone have any other ideas about what it could be?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
It could be a fatty lipoma. Don't freak about it. They will asperate it and let you know. Is it palapable and moves around easy? Again, don't freak. As Rider has aged, he's got lots of little fatty lipomas every where. I watch them to make sure they don't grow and we get them asperated every year to make sure they are still fatty lipomas. Again...don't freak until you know.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel like a bad mommy for not catching this earlier. It's a little smaller than a golf ball and yes it moves around easily. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it. I can touch it and he doesn't squirm etc.... He still plays normal and is happy. He has been calmer but we've been exercising him alot more now since he's a nut! I'm near tears about this and hope it's just a fatty lipoma like you said. I scared myself by googling it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
It's a little smaller than a golf ball and yes it moves around easily.
Tucker (now 10) got his first one at about a year. Now he's got several. Fatty tumors, harmless. Vet said they don't have to be removed unless they get so large that it's bothering them.

Prayers that this is what Avery has!!

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
As Dani & Amy said, it could be a fat lump but only your vet will know for certain. Jo had a big one on his side. It never bothered him & the vet saw no need to remove it. Hopefully that's all your problem is. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will keep you all posted. Thank you for putting my mind at ease a little bit. It just is starting to hang or look noticable that's why I'm freaking out. Counting the hours till we can get to the VET

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hope everything is ok at the vet...it is always so scary until you know for sure it is ok...

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Good thoughts that it is nothing. Now don't freak...but this happened to us. Could this possibly be a tick? I remember years ago our lab had a tick. But I was just petting her & I felt this lump on her neck. I freaked. I tried to see the lump & my DH pulled the fur back & then we realized what it was. We pulled it out & she was fine. it wasn't a deer tick that causes Lyme, just a tick that was on her & filled with blood. Please let us know about your boy.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's gotten a bunch if ticks that we've pulled off, we use frontline. He has had his shots for lyme but you think it could be an infected area? Come to think about it.... that was the spot if I remember where the tick looked like it was full of blood. What would they do drain it? I was looking at the spot yesterday and there was no scab or looked like it was from a tick. I'm confused about this.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Just came in to send good thoughts for Avery. Hope it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only thing I've noticed recently in his behavior is in the mornings be seems to be lazier than usual. He used to annoy me all morning and want to go out and play. Now he just kinda mopes around and sits next to me while I do my makeup or get dressed in the morning. But if we go outside to walk or play he's his happy little self.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took Avery to the vet.... He did some poking around. Put a needle in the lump and it was kind of slimmy. He said it looked like an inflammation and infection in his glad. Put him on antibiotics and inflamatory medicine. Said to do warm compressesntwice a day. He let us look at the sample he took under the microscope which I thought was cool and nice. So I hope this works. We follow up in 3 weeks. Wheeewwwww keep him in your prayers

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
thanks for the update. Hopefully the meds will help and he'll be 100% in no time.
what a relief for you. I know you were very, very concerned.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Thanks for the update. I am just now seeing this but my first thought was infection from a bug bite. My dobie who I had years ago (she was 16 when she passed) use to get bit by a common spider and the bit would lump up and get infected.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts