Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with this? Theo has been having intermittent *exquisite* pain in the lower back/tail/hip area. We had a normal walk this morning, and as we were walking up the stairs into the house he started screaming. Lifting his tail or extending his right hip is horrible--he screams and screams. Right now he's at the vet having X-rays and an exam, and we're going to have an orthopedic consult, but our regular vet suspects "lumbosacral syndrome" (also known as "cauda equina"). We're pretty sure it's not limber tail or hip dysplasia or an abdominal problem.

If you could spare some good thoughts for my sweet boy, I would appreciate it.

Lumbosacral syndrome: http://www.artreality.com/portfolio/wdwork/vet/caudaequinasyndrome.htm

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Poor Theo! It's so hard when they are in pain. Never heard of that but good thoughts coming your way. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Huh, reading through that it sounds like what our vet thinks is happening with Otis - in addition to his arthritis and dysplasia - though I don't remember that term. During his exam he said some of the problems he had with his reflexes are nerve issues and wouldn't be happening due to the arth/dys. Otis has never cried out in pain but he does have the incontinence (now that I think about it, that has gotten better now that he's on meds) and he does bite at his tail area a lot.

Lots of good thoughts for Theo! Poor guy.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Prayers and good thoughts for all of you

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Greyhound people have a lot of experience with that syndrome. Check out THEIR FORUM and do a search. Quite a bit comes up.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Good thoughts for Theo.

Sorry he's in so much pain. Poor guy.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Not diagnosed, but I suspect Megan (my girl beagle) may suffer with this. It's very new to me (or Megan, I should say) so I don't have anything to offer.

I'll be following your posts, Nathan. Your input will be very helpful to me and Meg.

:(

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the link and the good thoughts. Ugh. They've given him morphine and a Rimadyl injection, and he's still howling with pain when they try to examine his hind end. The first X-ray showed nothing unusual, but they're going to have to knock him out to do a full set. More soon, I hope.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Prayers and good thoughts to you both.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Yes, a friend of mine has a Weim that has this condition. He has undergone accupuncture for it, quite successfully too. He is finishing up his Master Hunter title. She did rest him for a long period after he was first diagnosis (I believe a year, with rest and alternative treatments such as the accupuncture etc.).

I hope you get a good diagnosis for your boy and that you can find a course of action to help with his pain.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sending lots of good thoughts your way, poor puppers, hope he feels better soon.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts