Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped Lucky off at the vet this morning...without incident!!

I had to carry her in last week and she peed all over me, but today she was a big girl and hobbled right in there!! She was nervous, but it was still a HUGE improvement. I was going to stay until they sedated her, but the doctor was on a farm call so Mary, the main assistant/front person, told me that I didn't need to wait that long, and walked over and sat down on a bench and had me bring Lucky to her. LUCKY WALKED RIGHT UP TO HER and let her pet her! THEN She sat down next to her!! I was still standing there, but still usually in an environment that's not her home she will pull me away and hide behind my legs..if you can imagine a lab hiding behind your legs. She sat there while I gave Mary the blanket for Lucky to have with her, then Mary took the leash, assured me for the upteenth time that Lucky would do just fine and then I gave Lucky a kiss and told her I'd see her tomorrow.

She wanted to come with me, but she only pulled on the leash once Mary was holding and then she just sat down as I left.

I swear that was the hardest thing I've EVER had to do! I'd rather give birth again!!

So please good thoughts for Lucky today. The vet is suppose to call this afternoon with an update and if all is well Lucky can come home tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
She /will/ be fine and the end result is so worth all the crap you're about to go through.. trust me.. we're 18 days into surgery number 2.. go day by day and take each one as a victory.. you'll get through it.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Poor unlucky Lucky. :(

She'll be fine Brandie. You'll just need to give her more TLC than usual. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Lots of prayers for Lucky! :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poor unlucky Lucky. :(

She'll be fine Brandie. You'll just need to give her more TLC than usual. Keep us updated.
I just hate that it happened at the beginning of the summer. She LOVES to swim. She's probably not going to get to do that allll summer. :(

I broke down and let her play in the kiddie pool we have. She played and played in it with Phoenix for about two hours yesterday. I have some pictures I'll have to post them up soon.

I know I probably should have made her take it easy yesterday, but it was the last chance she was going to get to be able to play with Phoenix..really play like she likes to, and get in the water. I wanted her to enjoy it.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
She played and played in it with Phoenix for about two hours yesterday.
Here's the thing.. she's a dog.. not a child looking out the window at her friends.. what you did made you feel better yesterday.. it did absolutely nothing for her. There's a difference.

PLEASE don't put your guilt on her.. you have a LONG road ahead of you and you need to focus on what's best for HER.. not you.. i don't mean to sound harsh, but humanizing your feelings into your dog is a big mistake that can cost you (and her) dearly if you let your guilt guide you through this process..

You're going to feel sorry for her a lot more in the coming months.. if you let her play because of it, you'll being doing neither of you service.. and 2 hours of play on a knee that requires that kind of surgery was poor judgement.

Learn and move on.. but learn.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the thing.. she's a dog.. not a child looking out the window at her friends.. what you did made you feel better yesterday.. it did absolutely nothing for her. There's a difference.

PLEASE don't put your guilt on her.. you have a LONG road ahead of you and you need to focus on what's best for HER.. not you.. i don't mean to sound harsh, but humanizing your feelings into your dog is a big mistake that can cost you (and her) dearly if you let your guilt guide you through this process..

You're going to feel sorry for her a lot more in the coming months.. if you let her play because of it, you'll being doing neither of you service.. and 2 hours of play on a knee that requires that kind of surgery was poor judgement.

Learn and move on.. but learn.
I definitely won't be doing it again, and thank you for your concern. You're right I did humanize her too much yesterday and I feel really bad about it. She didn't play for the full two hours, I meant to say she was outside for that long with us. She mostly splashed around in the pool, then would lay down, but regardless it was still a very poor decision on my part and I'm definitely going to learn from that experience.

My main reason for allowing her to play with Phoenix was because I knew that she wouldn't be allowed to after the operation and I wanted her to enjoy herself outside, again a poor decision I made :(

Good news: Lucky's out of surgery the vet just called a little bit ago and he said everything went fine. She's going to be recuperating 6-8 weeks. She won't be allowed outside without a leash. He does encourage a lot of leash walking, but no running or jumping. Jumping will be a big hurdle for us because she thinks she's a rabbit or something the way she jumps, so we will have to make sure we work really hard to keep her as calm as possible.

Sam's going to be a bit of a challenge. Lucky is his playmate and he's notorious for diving at her and biting/grabbing/pulling on her legs to get her to play with him. Since she's been hurt (last week) I've been pulling him away from her when he goes to do that and make him lay/sit down.

If anyone has any other suggestions to help Sam be a gentle pup I'd appreciate it. If he can't play nice I'll have to separate them until she's able to play with him again.

Thank you all for all your well wishes, she can come home tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Glad to hear the surgery went well! Hope you feel better too.
She'll get through the next weeks with lots of love (and discipline!) from you and your family.
{{hugs}}

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Koda is crated 24/7 for the first 6-8 weeks (at least) of her post-op.. i've had 2 vets tell me they should not be up and moving for that length of time to give that ligament time to form scar tissue and heal.

If your vet says walks, then fine.. but any sort of play, bouncing, jumping can do some serious harm.. can lucky be crated?

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Simba is post op 2 wks today and stitches come out today also. Vet said she won't put anymore weight on her leg than she can handle. So she's been out of her crate after 1.5days and I did have an incident with her running after another dog, but other than that, she's been hopping/walking or laying down when necessary.

Lucky will be fine, but I do know EXACTLY how you feel. Good thing we have Kelli to remind us to behave ourselves for the dogs sake!!! Because I too humanize my dogs!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
We all humanize our dogs.. i'm guilty of it too.. but for the most part it doesn't do any long-term damage.. it's just important we don't do it when their health is at stake.

s'all i'm saying..

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Glad the surgery went well, and I agree that Kelli is right. It's just hard to do. It's like giving your overweight dog too many treats. We have to remember, it's like killing them with kindness.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Of course it's gonna storm when Lucky's away from home! She's terrified of those things!! I'm sure the kennels are completely inside without windows near them so that will help her some. :(

Happy's trying to cheer me up....

Cheer up Mom, Lucky will be okay. Remember they cut my whole TAIL off and I'm okies.....

Now could you please feed me?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Sending continued good thoughts for Lucky. I'm glad things went well. Sounds like she did well at the vets. Maybe it was getting out and about and used to it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sending continued good thoughts for Lucky. I'm glad things went well. Sounds like she did well at the vets. Maybe it was getting out and about and used to it.
I'm wondering that too. I'm half tempted to make the drive (they are over 30 mins away) once a week, walk her in there and let her get a treat from Mary. Then just leaving. Maybe that'll help her get use to strangers and going somewhere other than being at home. Then weighing her sometimes to get her use to new things as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts