Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday morning I took Lucky outside, like we do every morning. I was tossing her 'hyper' stick for her to fetch. She got about halfway to it on one throw and the just let out a scream...not not a yelp a SCREAM!
She stopped dead in her tracks and had her left hind leg held up and was trying to still get the **** stick!! She just started crying and yelping and I call her to me as I'm running to her and she's still crying and holding her leg up. I get her up the stairs and into the house still crying and I'm hollering for Shane to bring me my phone because Lucky is hurt.
I call the vet as I'm calming her down, and they ask if she stepped on a wasp...Nooo, but let me triple check her paw...nothing. So they tell me to wait 24 hours and if she's still not using it to bring her in the next day. Okay maybe I did overreact a bit, but she's hurt herself before running like that. It's always an intial yelp, a few limps and she's fine. But Okay I'll wait the 24 hours.
Three hours later she's STILL limping and I notice her foot is swelling. So I pace back and forth for a while wondering if I should call the vet back or not, finally I say "You know what, I friggin PAY them, I can annoy them as much as I want, I've probably put their kids through school in the last year with all of Sam's visits!" SO I call them and inform them that she is still in pain and her foot is now swelling, so they tell me to bring her in.
Then I can't get a hold of Shane to tell him that he needs to come with me. Lucky has SEVERE anxiety at the vet AND I had Phoenix with me. So I send him a message on AIM saying "GDI ANSWER YOUR ***** phone!"
We take Lucky to the vet and I had to carry her inside because she was so terrified, which led to me getting PEE'D all over a couple of times! :D

The vet comes in and starts messing with her leg, and she is just frozen and shivering as I'm holding her head near me, trying to comfort her. I'm afraid he's going to think she's not hurt as bad since she's not reacting to him moving her injured leg around. Then he helps me get her off the table and has me make her walk..rather hobble...around.
He says she ripped a ligament near her knee and she has to have surgery now. :( She's scheduled for surgery on Tuesday and I am a nervous wreck about it. She's been sleeping with me and Shane's been on the couch so I can keep an eye on her.
It's not the actual surgery that has me worried. Our vet is very very good and he's done this procedure 100's of times. What has me so upset is that I have to leave her there, and for ATLEAST overnight. It would bother me to be parted from any of my dogs, but Happy and Sam can cope, they do okay with strangers, let them be petted. They'll be sad I'm not there but they'll function you know? Lucky is going TO FREAK out. I tear up just thinking about having to take her in there Tuesday morning and walking out. She's not going to understand it. I'm afraid she'll hurt herself or have a heart attack or something. I asked them how long she'd be there before she's sedated for her surgery, because after that she'll be all doped up and I'm sure she'll be okay then, and I'll be there bright and early on Wednesday to get her. They told me "not too long." I expressed my concern that she'll freak out and I am afraid she'll hurt herself in the kennel and they told me they'd give her something if she gets that upset, but really that doesn't make me feel any better about it.
Is it wrong to ask to be allowed to stay with her until they sedate her? I'm completely stressing out about this. Her anxiety at home and on walks is getting so much better. I actually got her to lay down next to a motorcycle (turned off) while I gave her treats. I'm afraid me just leaving her at the vet is going to just wash all the work away!!
Am I stressing to much about this or are my concerns valid?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I am sorry to hear about Lucky's injury and am sending good thoughts for a successful surgery and a swift recovery. I don't know what to say about the anxiety though, part of me wants to say that being away for a few days might help out but it isn't like Lucky's going to a Spa or something fun. But here's hoping that it won't be as bad as you think. Maybe send a piece of clothing with your scent on it with Lucky?

·
Registered
21,482 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of Lucky's injury. Sending speedy healing thoughts for her. Sorry I don't know what to do about the anxiety either.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
I know how worried and stressed you must be. I think I'd talk to them about staying with her until they can at least give her a mild sedative to help with the anxiety. After all, you are doing what's best for HER, and they should help you through this. Good thoughts and prayers coming your way. {{{HUGS}}}for both of you.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Healing thougths and prayer for Lucky-I would ask if you can stay until they sedate her.Whats the worst thing they can say is no

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
there seems to be an influx of ligament injuries on this board lately.. weird.. all the best for poor lucky.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there seems to be an influx of ligament injuries on this board lately.. weird.. all the best for poor lucky.
Maybe it's from getting out and running to much after the long wet winter?

She wants to play so badly, she actually football rushed me earlier today to get outside and run in the yard. I was not very happy with her.:eek:

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Ask your vet about a calming drug to give her for a few days before surgery. It will de stress both of you. :) You need to be careful of your own anxiety around her because you're transmitting it to the dog but you probably already know that. :cool:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ask your vet about a calming drug to give her for a few days before surgery. It will de stress both of you. :) You need to be careful of your own anxiety around her because you're transmitting it to the dog but you probably already know that. :cool:
I ASKED the vet if he wanted me to give her an anxiety pill the day before and the morning of and he told me no. :confused:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
So sorry about Lucky's injury. I hope something can be worke ou to ease her anxiety before surgery. Good thoughts and prayers on the way from us.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Poor baby...here's to getting better soon...Hugs to the puppers and YOU as well...Poor mom..

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
You and Lucky will be in my prayers tuesday. Yes, ask if you can be with her until they sedate her for surgery, at least stay with her in the waiting room until just before they take her in for surgery. I remember my vet once let me stay with my Kasa (1990-2002) as they put her out for surgery. It was so comforting for both of us. Remember the vet and techs are very good with dogs. I remember how surprised I was to see Kasa, and more recently Mitzi, bonded to the techs when I went to pick her up from surgery. They both were (are) such mama's girls.
I'm so sorry you and Lucky are going through this, but it will be better in time.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
So sorry to hear about Lucky's injury Brandie. I hope everything goes well for the surgery and I will be thinking of you both. x

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sleeping with a blanket now until Tuesday and going to let her have that when she goes. Thanks everyone!! It's comforting to have all your well wishes and advice. I'm not as stressed as I was and I've noticed she's acting a bit more normal as well. She wants to go hobble in the yard!!

If she football rushes me one more time I'm gonna tie her to the bed or something!! I don't want her going out the back door because we have steps from the deck to the back yard, I've been trying to take her out the front door because there's only one step and she has problems with that one!!!

Sam keeps trying to play with her, and he gets mad when I holler for him to stop. He droops his head then sneaks in a couple more bites to her legs/face before I pull him away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts