Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to Kim and Bobby for treating me to such a great day.

You start with 40+ pounds of mudbugs, corn on the cob, carrots, onions, garlic, red potatoes, lemons and the special seasonings and spices. Get the water boiling and chuck it all in together. Wait for it to start to boil and then when the time is just right, shut the heat off and add ice to cool it down quick.

After it sucks up all those good tastes you drain it and dump it all out on paper and dig in.

Here is what 40 pounds of crawfish look like just before unleashing 5 hungry people on them.

and this is the carnage of the end of the feeding frenzy. MAN those are some good lil critters. I can't get over the flavor and the corn and taters are beyond description.

There ended up being about 10 pounds left over that I got to bring home with me. Here are the pictures of my Pennsylvania crawfish boil. It turned out pretty good considering I really did not know what I was doing.

I also made some steak for Chris because he usually don't eat "odd" things. I also made two LA. stuffed pork chops that Kim sent home with me. They thawed out on the ride home and had to be cooked anyhow.

Not quite as big a pile as Kim had, but plenty for the 3 of us.

We managed to get them all eaten up. Barb would not touch them because they look like spiders, but I peeled a bunch for her and she liked them. Chris even ate 30 or 40, so that was quite a surprise.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
do the crawfish taste just like lobster. i have never tried it but it looks delish.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Pinch da tails and suck da heads! yeaaaa baby...crawfish is the best :laugh:

Your PA version is very admirable. Looks like a great spread.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2labsmom said:
do the crawfish taste just like lobster. i have never tried it but it looks delish.
They have a texture like lobster, but I am not sure about the taste. There are so many spices and things in the boil that you mostly tast that. Now they do boil lobsters the same way, and I would think they would taste a lot like the crawfish did. I think I am going to do a lobster/shrimp boil here some time. Want to come for dinner that day Mark? ;D

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Love em, went fishing with a friend and my brother on night off a dam, the catfish didn't bite that night so Tom and I caught crawdads, took them over to the little fire I had for coffee and cooked them in the heat and had a good time. My brother wouldn't even try them. Told everyone he wasn't going fishing with us again, we ate all the bait. ;D

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
we have made something similiar but with shrimp. called "Trash"...so much fun to eat isn't it?
throwing it all on the newspaper..great party..lots of beer to wash it all down.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I would love to try crayfish, but I won't have any idea how to begin to make them.

Looks great!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Never had crawfish, but I would have loved to be there!! It looks very delicious!

and :eek: :eek:m that's a lot of food!

J

·
0 Posts
We do a smoked sausage boil. (I dont like anything that lives in water). Corn on the cobs, carrots, cabbage, smoked sausage and lots of potatoes, all in a big turkey fryer and fill with water and boil.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Looks :-X

Joe, who's Kim and Bobby and Chris?

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I loved my first crawdad boil! I was working in Louisanna and was invited to the head mechanics house for a get together. They had a lot of fun teaching this Yankee how to eat!

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
OH YUMMMMY. That looks SO GOOD.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I had to come back and look.
What amazes me is there seems to be no flies.
If we had a cookout like that here, flies would be swarming all over the place. :-\

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Joe Maringo said:
2labsmom said:
They have a texture like lobster, but I am not sure about the taste. There are so many spices and things in the boil that you mostly tast that. Now they do boil lobsters the same way, and I would think they would taste a lot like the crawfish did. I think I am going to do a lobster/shrimp boil here some time. Want to come for dinner that day Mark? ;D
We do lobster boils a lot here (having some tonight, in fact ;D) I don't find the taste quite the same, but both are delicious!!!! Crawfish have spices & such, whereas you just boil the lobster with corn & potatoes usually.

Man, that dinner looks fabulous! I want to have a crawfish boil now!!!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jzgrlduff said:
Looks :-X

Joe, who's Kim and Bobby and Chris?
Kim and Bobby where my hosts in LA. She does lab rescue there with her local shelter and has the lab that is in my signature getting heartworm treated so he can come to PA. She is a member here but does not visit very often.

Chris is my son ::)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Chris is my son
Sorry, I didn't know. I know you've talked about him before but I didn't know his name. :-[

1 - 20 of 25 Posts