Just Labradors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Louie is 6 months old. We've started noticing some funny things going on with his hind legs when he's running around in the yard. I can't quite put my finger on what exactly is unusual about his gait...but something is definitely up. I just did a little research and discovered (to my dismay) that he could be showing signs of hip dysplasia already. What should I have my eye out for? Also, what could it be other than hip dysplasia?

·
Registered
267 Posts
can it be that he is doing the 'crazy legs' thing?--where they scrunch their butt down and kind of lift up their head & go really, really fast in a half-sitting position? [others call it 'butt-tucking'] this would be perfectly normal, and you are allowed to laugh out loud, it is an expression of joy from the depths of their being.
on a less happy note, it is pretty impossible, even with xray, to tell much about HD at this age---the OFA won't even accept diagnostic/classification xrays until they are 2 years old.
unless he is actually crippled, [in which case you need to see an orthopedic vet] i would feed him good food--a reputable 'large-breed' formula--and give him plenty of varied exercise, for example, alternating free play on land with swimming would be excellent. it is vitally important for a dog with HD of any degree to maintain Excellent muscle fitness, as the muscles will support and protect the bones.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
posting a video would be a great idea! Are you able to do that?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Are his back legs giving out? He could be showing signs of EIC......

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
If your worried, I'd have your breeder take a look at his gait or bring him by the vet for xrays. I hope it's nothing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts