Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so glad this is all winding to a close. This series has gotten exhausting.

Cool to see Arzt again. And Alex as a pseudo-daughter for Dr Linus. But Illiana and her whole plotline is just a muddle to me -- not helped by the fact that every time I see her, I see Ana Lucia and am reminded of THAT whole plotmess that went nowhere fast.....

Hurley was good for a chuckle or two, dreaming of cheese curls.

Noble Jack. Suicidal Richard. Black Pearl. Digging Graves. Principal Reynolds. Benry's Dad. And the wheels on the bus go round and round and round and round.....

Still....

When the original Losties unite with other Losties, and the camera goes all slo-mo, and we see Sun enveloped in a big, burly Hurley hug.... It's hard to be mad at this show.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I love Ben-centric episodes. OMG - how hard did you laugh when Miles said "Uh Oh" to Ben after reading Jacob's ashes?

I was impressed with Ben's decisions on both the Island and in the Sideways dimension.

Illyana does know which Kwan she's supposed to protect...because they are both candidates. I wonder if they are a candidate together only and not separate?

Poor Richard. Shattered faith and unable to get off the frickin' island. Great performance by both him and Jack as they waited for the spark to reach the end of the fuse.

Anyone want to start placing bets on which candidate is going to take over the job?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone want to start placing bets on which candidate is going to take over the job?
I was thinking Jack -- Man of science -- but how cool would a Hurley-centric island be? Golf. Volkswagon races. Ping pong tourneys. Sounds much more fun than Shepardland.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
But I keep remember how important Aaron was supposed to be. They really hyped that up and now...???

I can't imagine it would be the Kwans...they would want to go back to their baby.

I think Kate is going to be pivotal to the decision for either Jack or Sawyer.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Going thru the recap:

On the Island, Ben the Dethroned seemed set to pay for his sins and abuses of power after Ilana smoked out his Jacob-stabbing secret and sentenced him to death for killing her beloved godfather. Then the Man In Black showed up and made him an offer he seemingly couldn't refuse: restored Island rule in the future in exchange for his loyal service in the present as part of his Hydra Family gang. Ben made a choice. He bolted. Ilana chased. Ben got himself a gun and was about to put a Bada-Bing in Jacob's girl the way he blew away Caesar the Whodat? last season. But then Ben made another choice: He bared his soul. He told the truth about killing Jacob, shared his rage over feeling betrayed by his Island god and his shame for choosing Island power over his daughter, and then offered this heartbreaking explanation for why he was joining Mr. Evil Incarnate (Allegedly): ''Because he's the only one that will have me!'' Then Ilana did something that left Ben gobsmacked: She forgave him. ''I'll have you,'' she said, and walked away. Ben shuffled after her, as if sucked in by the undertow of her grace. He came to the outskirts of the Beach camp, then stopped and considered his options. Stay and serve in this humble little patch of heaven, or join Devil Locke and coldly play for a shot at living the ''Vida La Vida'' once again. You always have a choice. This time, Ben made the right one — fulfilling, perhaps, Jacob's dying thought hope that Ben had the capacity for change. Has Ben the flip-flop artist truly embraced redemption? If so, would his redemption have been possible without Jacob's death? If so, did Jacob know that when he offered his chest for Ben to puncture? And so we debate like theologians.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ben made a choice. He bolted. Ilana chased.
And I gave an Almighty Eye Roll. Ilana could have/should have blasted him as soon as he set foot outside the grave. But no, she [lah-dee-dah] let him scurry off and [ooh-i'm-chasing-i'm-chasing] trotted after him and [caught-ya] stood there while Benry armed up.

lame

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
And I gave an Almighty Eye Roll. Ilana could have/should have blasted him as soon as he set foot outside the grave. But no, she [lah-dee-dah] let him scurry off and [ooh-i'm-chasing-i'm-chasing] trotted after him and [caught-ya] stood there while Benry armed up.

lame
Do you ever think of the Island as a test? Ben was being tested. By Jacob. "He died for our sins" kind of thing. You can keep on going or you can have faith. Illana is one of Jacob's apostles ... maybe she's in on the whole thing.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't get the 'died for our sins' reference.

I get Ben being tested -- as in Locke invites him off to the Hydra, and Ben says no and goes back to the beach.

But 'died for our sins' meaning.... Jacob? Howso?

And couldn't it just as much been a test for Ilana? She found compassion when Ben confessed his sins.

Which is all why this show makes my head whirl.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I'm thinking that Jacob allowed himself to be killed. Its putting the people on the island's alliances with good or evil to the test and I'm guessing if you choose good you will be rewarded. Aka your sins will be erased. Like Ben. He can start over with a clean slate.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
When it is finally finished we will sit around with a big dumb look on our faces and wonder what the hell just happened. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts